grinder

Painting a jointed lure

I am going to paint my first jointed lure, and need some advice. I usually hold by the lip, or one of the line ties. So how does one keep the jointed lure static in one plane? I want to have pattern consistancy with both segments, but need to keep the end from waggling around while spraying. Short of building an elaborate jig, is there an easy way?

I use interlinked handtwisted hinges and install them last. Fit a couple of snug-fitting wires into the hinge holes to keep the segments together while you paint. Then separate the segments and clearcoat them, then epoxy in the hinges. A Dremel with a piece of ss wire inserted is a good way to clean epoxy out of the hard-to-reach hinges once the bait is finished. If your hinges are already installed, Hughsey's method works fine too, although it might take more than just a drop of superglue if you're building a big bait like a swimbait or musky lure.

I have a couple big jointed lures I wanted to re-paint and CC without disassemby, and found a neat tool to help out. It's a hack saw frame. I twisted up a couple light SS wire segments attached to the front & back eyes, ran them to the saw blade hooks. Tighten it up a bit with the blade tensioner...viola, a real nice lure holder.:yay:

I have a couple big jointed lures I wanted to re-paint and CC without disassemby, and found a neat tool to help out. It's a hack saw frame. I twisted up a couple light SS wire segments attached to the front & back eyes, ran them to the saw blade hooks. Tighten it up a bit with the blade tensioner...viola, a real nice lure holder.:yay:

That is a sweet idea!!!!!