Dweller

Up in smoke

My scroll saw just went up in smoke! I need something to replace my it, it was a delta. Thinking about replacing it with a band saw are they more efficient. Do they cut the lip slots straighter. What brands are the best I really do want anything over a 14in. Please give me your input. Do you have any pointers on cutting lip slots square could it have been the flex in the scroll saw blade.

Thanks everyone at TU

I'd choose a bandsaw hands down..I've got a scroll saw and probably only used it a few times.As for brand, I like craftsman,but that is just a personal preferance.

As for lip slots..I make a single cut with the band saw too use as a pilot hole..I then use a 1/16th" diamond bit in my dremel tool..Lay the bait on it's side and follow the pilot slot you cut with the band saw..You lip slots come out perfect every time..If you need a wider slot..just use a larger bit...Gene Graham (Lincoya) taught me this while at my house..Nathan

I remember that you said you build you baits out of balsa.

I think you should stick with a scroll saw. It should be able to handle anything you are doing. Yes a band saw would be needed if you were working with any of the harder woods but I think you will find that a band saw is a little bit too big for balsa.

If you decide to go with another scroll saw, tighten you blade down. Make sure you surface is level. Cut a slot in a flat piece of wood and then flip it over and cut the same slot again. That will let you know if you surface is level. Cut you lip slots while you bait is flat (flip it over and cut it again). A blade with more teeth will cut a smaller slot and a blade with fewer teeth will cut a larger slot. Try a 10 TPI or a 12.5 TPI blade and see what works best for your lips. Balsa/Bass baits don't need the thick lips that some of the larger baits use, so I don't think you would need to make the lip slot any larger after the initial cut.

When you are cutting you lure bodies, slow down on the curves. Don't push the wood or it will flex the blade and that is what causes the unwanted angles. Just speed the blade up or slow it down when you need to. I like to keep the blade speed a little slower and just glide the wood around. If you think you are having to push too hard then it is time to change the blade. I like a blade with 20 to 25 TPI for cutting the bodies.

With that said. I wish I had a band saw for almost any other job.

I use a Makita scroll saw and crank the blade tension tight with pliers. Not much deflection after that. I agree with Palmetto B a scroll saw is maybe even preferable to a band saw for balsa. The stuff cuts like butter anyway and a thin kerf saw blade makes a neater cut. But for hardwoods, a scroll saw gets mighty tedious. I've been doing it with my scroll saw for a couple of years now and would love to have both.