crazychuy

Custom Jigs...............HELP

I just finished reading an article in the recent FLW talking about pouring your own jigs. I fish jigs alot and was very interested in pouring my own jigs since I'm pretty sure it would be alot more cost efficient.

I've been having a hard time finding the jig mold that I want in order to accomadate the hook I want in the mold. The article picture this style and was hoping to find a mold of this style.

The style I'm looking to pour is just like the one pictured below.

pepper_casting.jpg

Some of you might notice this style. It's poured with a gamakatsu hook.

Does anybody know where I can get this jig mold?

If the mold is not available than does anybody know how I can modify the mold to have an end result as the picture and if so what mold should I start with?

What is the Gamakatsu hook, style number, and where can I get them?

Thank you for your help and patience,

CHUY

Do-it football head. Model FBB-4H-AFM. Gamakatsu 5941 or 614 (light wire). I don't think the hook angle is exactly the same, but it's a flat eye and 60* The jig you pictured might be a 30*. You can get them at any store that sells tacklemaking supplies. Barlows, Stamina, Janns netcraft, Bob's tackle shack.........

Go to doitmolds.com. There's a lot of jig molds they have and most will take gammys. Seems to me though, Barlow's tackle always seems to have better pricing.

I just went to Barlow's and picked up that mold today. clamboni is right about the angle of the hook eye. It's not quiet as severe as the one in the pic, but close. I also have the roundhead mold that uses these hooks and I really like them. Mustad # is 32798. VMC also makes them and Barlow's has 3/0 and 4/0 #7218. They are not in the catalog or online, but they have them in the store.

Chuy, be prepared for your next addiction.

So many skirt colors, so little time.

I just went to Barlow's and picked up that mold today. clamboni is right about the angle of the hook eye. It's not quiet as severe as the one in the pic, but close. I also have the roundhead mold that uses these hooks and I really like them. Mustad # is 32798. VMC also makes them and Barlow's has 3/0 and 4/0 #7218. They are not in the catalog or online, but they have them in the store.

Chuy, be prepared for your next addiction.

So many skirt colors, so little time.

Thanks for mentioning Barlow's. I live in Keller, TX and will be going today to pick up one of those.

Thank you for all of your help and wisdom.:worship:

I'm really looking for a mold that can give me the same degree of angle of the hook shank as the above pictured jig.

How can I modify the suggested jig mold to give me that angle?

The reason is because it allows my trailers claws to float at an angle that looks like a crawdad defending itself. I don't know but I know it give me more confidence when fishing a jig.

Thanks,

CHUY

Hey Chuy,

Glad you liked the article I wrote. I lurk here a bit and can speak specifically about this head and mold and hook. Unfortunately there is only a place or two to buy these heads with this hook. The problem right now is that is a special order hook and you have to buy them in some astronomical quantities (100,000). Staminainc has them but I've also found them at www.castind.com.

I have them made for me by the folks at Cast to sell locally around Kentucky Lake and to my fishing friends.

There are some new molds just released by Do-It (http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=28) that feature the flateye 60-degree mustad or vmc hooks. I believe Gamakatsu now makes a hook for them as well due in large part to the national shortage of the original mustad hooks.

I'm using the VMC hooks now in an altered do-it mold and am very happy with them on both my football heads and my roundball finesse heads.

Not sure this is the answer you were looking for. You might be able to get a custom mold made but I wouldn't do that until you figure out if Gamakatsu will sell you that hook in a quantity you can afford.

Most of us buy hooks in quantities of 1,000 or 10,000. 100,000 is a bit steep for a lowly editor like me! :-) I started using these heads for the exact reason you described. It makes my trailers flare like a crawfish on guard. But I've found that I miss a lot of bites on them that I think are smallmouths so I've been experimenting with flateye round bend vmc hook for better hookups.

Mustad has a new hook that should fit the mold mentioned, and it is a "wide gap" hook like the Gami. I just ordered some from Barlow's, they came today, and plan to make some tomorrow and see how they work.

I wish the 3434 Do-It mold came in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 oz. sizes!

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=2885&CATID=57

Chuy,

We can build you a custom spin casting mold and do your casting and painting for you. If you decide to go that route.

As LedHed has stated "You will save time/money in the long run."

Customers that have been using Do-it type molds find that we can produce there baits at a lesser cost and faster then they can.

We have a few good post about our work on the Wire Baits page plus we are a Tackleunderground Sponsor.

Chuck Vanover

Tight Line Anglers Products

Ph. 440-277-1511

Fax 440-277-9152