Bountiful Waters

Dents

I am pouring the 6 inch Dels T Stick. I am getting dents in at least 2 out of 4 baits each time I pour. I have tried slowing down, thinner stream, etc.. I have read other suggestions on the forum, but cannot prevent them. I assume it is because it is such a bigger bait and more plastic involved. Any other remedies? Thanks

I have just recently been warned about this problem. I am having some large aluminum molds made. The gentleman that is making my molds said that if my plastic was too soft that it would dent. This could be what he was talking about, in fact I'm sure it is. I am wondering whose plastic and what formula you are using. Maybe a little hardener will solve your problem. Sorry I am just now responding, I just about missed this one.

I have the same mold and have the same problem. I sent the mold back to Del and had them Vented. I'll let you know the out come this week. I am in the final phase of completeing a new pouring station and should be pouring by Wednesday. I'm anxious to see if venting the molds is going to work.

Mike

Two things can cause this "dent" problem 1. mold is too hot 2. plastic is too hot. Try drilling a hole in the aluminum mold to allow a thermometer, then you will be able to keep the mold at a "working temperature". The hotter the plastic is when you pour the more shrinkage you will get, also the softer a plastic is the less dense it seems to be, this also seems to lead to faster cooling rates along with more shrinkage.Harder plastic is more dense and will cause the molds to heat up faster.Venting the molds in the area of the dents will help some, because it will help to cool that area, but overall it is better to find the working temp. of that particular mold, and then to pour enough molds to keep all the molds in their working temp range.