bhorlings

Calhoun Medium Plastic vs. Soft Plastic

well to take this question one step further, I am making up some 3" and 5" shassy shad type baits for inland striper fisherman. Would the regular plastic hold up better on the larger size baits?

I can't speak for Calhoun as I've only used the soft hand-pour formula, but with other brands yes they will hold up better, but you will likely lose action. To be honest, I could never consistently pour with a regular type plastisol without using a bunch of heat stabilizer. Keep in mind that it takes those formulas quite a bit longer to achieve a "pourable" state, which usually translates into "easier to burn". :|

So does the MF plastics have heat stabilizer in it?

They all have some stabilizer. The harder versions usually require more.......at least for me anyway, and stabilizer can be purchased at any of those manucturers. A good place to start would be about 1/4 cup per gallon of plastic. Stabilizer really stinks, so you need to be very careful with it.

I used calhouns when bait junky’s sold it. Medium is good for craw baits and Ribon tail worms and grubs . I got a nice thump with it. As far as stuff like drop shot and stick baits I used soft. For me personally soft was not soft enough so I added more softner when making stick baits my normal formula was

4 oz of soft plastic

3 tablespoons of salt

1 tablespoon of softner

this will make an 11 gram 5 inch stickbait