fisheye56

Gambler new swimbait

How did that one go into production??? One quiet morning at Gambler Lures, Bill, the new guy on the pouring line, trys to discard his first attempt as trash. Tom, his co-worker and trainer, pulls the mistakes out from the trash and starts teasing poor Bill about the lure's funny shape. Meanwhile, Mr. Big, owner of Gambler Lures Inc, sees the new bait and promotes Bill to VP of New Product Developement....

It could have happened like that....

• Haha 1

i just got three packs in last week. the body lacks a significant hook slot(1/16" deep) , so it is really only suitable to use an exposed jig with, as opposed to a texas rig(unless you cut it yourself). the body is 2 3/16" long(2/0 ewg hook size), 1/2" tall from back to belly,3/8" thick, and the middle section(long section of the tail) is roughly as thick as 2 pennies stacked together. the paddle is 1/2" wide and 7/8" long. on my powder scale i use for reloading, it weighs 103 grains, which is just under 1/4oz if my math is right(i've been driving all night and have had two beers since i got home).

i put it on a 1/8oz matzuo sickle bend jig w/ barb and collar and slowrolled it in current, and was extremely impressed with the action at slooooooooow speeds. i think it could be improved though with a stretchier/ more durable plastic like strike kings 3X. no more than what i threw it, the head split, and the jig head started slipping out. there are a number of feild repairs that could be done...super glue, re-melting the head, just using a collarless ball jig, ect..., but the durability is an issue. fortunately, the price isn't. cheap enough, and it does swim well when hooked properly and the color selection isn't bad either, basic, but not bad.

all in all, i fully expect to catch riversmallies on this bait after the water goes above 50 degrees. my plan is to swim these baits along current seams, out of chutes and into still water pockets, and hop these baits through deeper haunts with a sharp lift, fall, crawl type presentation. all on a jig head. basicly use it as a medium running crank that has the ability to fall when i want it to.

because of the lack of hook pocket, i don't think it would be best to use around wood or heavy weeds. instead, a tube bodied swim bait texas rigged with an appropriately weighted jerk bait hook would serve you better there.

these are just my initial impressions, and could change over time when i've had a bit more experience with them.

patrick

p.s. looking forward to the 6" version