ifishutah

Making Scrounger heads?

Pizza, the bill material is not Lexan, it is a soft flexible rubber. I just got TU to try to figure this out myself. I have some of the scrounger heads, LOVE THEM, but I dont like the hook size. Too small for the plastics I use on them. If someone has an idea as to what material and a source for the soft plastic bill I would appreciate it.

You can see the bait at aaronmartenslures.com

Ive made some using the transparent soft plastic drape stuff they have at cold storage facilities.

I ring the head using modified fencing pliers and slide the "bill" on with some zap a gap to secure it in place.

Ive never made any BIG ones, I think 1/4 oz. was as large as I went. I make them small enough to use those gulp minnows for crappie trolling. They like the combo, but honestly ya never know what gonna hit them- they swim great.

My preference is the short shanked hook jigheads- lets more of the body of the minnow swim.

Pizza, the bill material is not Lexan, it is a soft flexible rubber. I just got TU to try to figure this out myself. I have some of the scrounger heads, LOVE THEM, but I dont like the hook size. Too small for the plastics I use on them. If someone has an idea as to what material and a source for the soft plastic bill I would appreciate it.

Couldn't you punch/cut a dozen or more from a plastic coffee can lid? It's flexible but tough, and rigid enough to hold it's shape. I'd give that a try first.

Couldn't you punch/cut a dozen or more from a plastic coffee can lid? It's flexible but tough, and rigid enough to hold it's shape. I'd give that a try first.

Im guessin it would probly work just as well as anything else. The main reason, from what I gather, for the flexible "bill" is to limit hangups. So this or any other material would work, its just a matter of gettin it secured to the head.

Flabaspond- I dont cast my own heads, I just use a generic Northland Fireball style jig that I get from a local shop. I like to use short shanks because it allows for more of the plastic to swim. Again, any jig head would probly work though. The key is a cross lock snap or even a split ring to allow it to swim freely.

maybe someone should try to make them using lexan as a lip. It would give a more pronounced action than the current material they are using. I would think this would be better for many trailers, especially those that don't have a whole lot of "action" to begin with. For example, a zoom super fluke on a scrounger type head with lexan bill seems like it would work nicely.

maybe someone should try to make them using lexan as a lip. It would give a more pronounced action than the current material they are using. I would think this would be better for many trailers, especially those that don't have a whole lot of "action" to begin with. For example, a zoom super fluke on a scrounger type head with lexan bill seems like it would work nicely.

Useing Lexan may be a problem since it has no give and if it doesn't give you may have a hooking problem( :nuhuh:) with the head I would use something soft so it will crush down on the bite.

Just made one out of a cap from a crystal light container. Works like a charm. Just used one of the collared shakey jigs. Used a 1/4 oz head, and for now a rubber jig skirt collar to hold it in place w/ a drop of glue. Be sure to put a split ring or something comparable to help impart the action. It'll wobble w/out but not as much.

Tip-- used a smaller (don't know what size) colorado blade for the round end, then gave it a bit more width at the narrower end to allow for the hole to be cut.

If it holds up to a fish, I JUST SAVED A TON of money cause those things are darn expensive. we'll see! Worked great in the tank though. Even my goldfish looked hungry.... or maybe they were just admiring the way it shook it's tail.

I tried a coffee can lid, and it worked, but the bill didn't seem like it would hold up that well. The crystal light container lid was slightly more rigid but still flexible.

I'll try and post some results once I get an open spot in the ice!

Steve

I think a do it tip up jig , worm nose jig or the shad style would work awesome because of the flat base you could glue the plastic disc right to the base or you could check out the stuff that Larry Dahlberg used to make his whopper plopper tail it was some kind of two part rubber that he molded

Edited by ROWINGADUBAY