Brian_Va

Powder paint prices??

I've gotten some of that powder that's not made for fluid beds, and it's too heavy or something, and none of it (that I have tried) flows well. Doesn't matter if you do not use a fluid bed, though.

No, you do not need a fluid bed. When my Dad had the business, he made up to a 3oz. popeye/bullet jig and never had a fluid bed. He just used a cup a little deeper than the jig is long, and stirred/fluffed the powder up between dips with a toothpick, or whatever.

That being said, I love my fluid bed. :yay:

You are correct, you do not need a fluid bed, as I said, and good for your dad.

My point was if you intend to use a fluid bed, be mindful of the powder, because not all of it flows well in them, making any savings by buying a cheaper powder non-existent.

Wow dude, I was just agreeing with you, you don't have to use the bed, and in agreeing, pointed out that he got by using only the "dip" method. If it seemed like I was posting something to challenge your opinion/knowledge, that was not the intent.

"good for your Dad", That's ah,.....very nice of you??

Have a good day anyway.

My point was if you intend to use a fluid bed, be mindful of the powder, because not all of it flows well in them, making any savings by buying a cheaper powder non-existent.

Nooooo don't get me wrong, I don't buy junk. But Barlows hands you a tube of KY before they do the final total, and I can't have that.

Brian

I use Columbia Coatings and pro-tec. I think CC is the cheapest but a little harder to work with. Can't really tell you how it works in FBs - I do alot of mixing and more brush painting now.

Have seen some stuff on eBay that looks like something to try - just don't have time.

every ebay powder i have bought works well besides the white. bought the aspen white and it tends to boil over and dosent have much gloss to it. havent had a problem paint yet in my fluid bed except protech glow. that stuff goes everywhere and is not worth using in my bed. dipped a few after stirring and so much gets on the jig i end up with a major drip at the bottom of the jig or the front of it while in fishing position.

TC,

I thought I saw on their site they don't sell retail.

The new price sheet shows only 6 or so colors @ $14/lb. The rest are $18.50-$20.50/lb, and a buck or so cheaper for a 5lb tub. The super glows are going to $23/lb.

I would love to find it cheaper. I do have a tax # and excise #, so I can order from them. Was thinking of ordering some of the new color samples.

I have ordered 8 jars of the one pound from them. I just called them adn placed the order.

Not sure the price just know its a lot cheaper then 5.00 for the little jar.

Good luck

Tim

For colors I use a lot of...you bet it is. This is the only P.P. I have ever tried.

Component System Inc. and Pro Tec are the same.

Think the math is right…

Average price of $5/2oz = $2.50/oz ($40/lb)

$14/lb = $.88/oz save 65% @ 2oz

Average price of $5/1.5oz = $3.33/oz ($53.33/lb)

$18.50/lb = $1.16/oz save 53.75% @ 2oz

$18.50/lb = $1.16/oz save 65.31% @ 1.5oz

$20.50/lb = $1.28/oz save 48.75% @ 2oz

$20.50/lb = $1.28/oz save 61.56% @ 1.5oz

$23.00/lb = $1.44/oz save 42.50% @ 2oz

$23.00/lb = $1.44/oz save 56.87% @ 1.5oz

Some Pro-Tec jars come in 2oz or 1.5oz jars.

Wow... I found a small local place that will sell me PP in white, yellow red or black for $5.50/lb. It is NOT as easy to work with as the Pro-Tec, and does not go as far. It tends to blow around a lot in the fluid bed, but for that price, I can deal with it. I still keep some jars of the good stuff (pro-tec) around for special projects.

But you may try local powdercoating companies, and ask if you can buy some off them.

-TH

Wow... I found a small local place that will sell me PP in white, yellow red or black for $5.50/lb. It is NOT as easy to work with as the Pro-Tec, and does not go as far. It tends to blow around a lot in the fluid bed, but for that price, I can deal with it. I still keep some jars of the good stuff (pro-tec) around for special projects.

But you may try local powdercoating companies, and ask if you can buy some off them.

-TH

I'll agree with you on less expensive powder. I've posted here several times, about different Powder Paint manufacturers. Our company powder paints about 600 colors, and they are all from different manufacturers. Reason being some colors are std. for some companies and some are not, so it doesn't pay to have a custom powder made. With that said, I also posted, about different powder make-ups. Poleyesters, hybrids, epoxys and so on. I like the Protec colors I can't find anywhere else, that's what I use them for. Pro-tec is an excellent powder, but it is also expensive. I also have been trying Columbia Coatings. I love there paint. It's a little harder to work with, but once you figure it out it is no problem. I have access to hundreds of powder colors from work. I use them all and have never had any paint adhesion problems. Some powder was bought at $3 a pound. It is very good powder. I think a lot of you guys are short changing yourself, by not trying something different. Just my personal opinion.

Give Ben a call or email, I bet he'd get larger quantities for you.

The one's I tried were different in how they flowed in the bed, some did ok, some blew powder all over the bench, some volcanoes. Adjusting the pressure helped some, but some were beyond help.

It's entirely possible to get good even finishes with the other brands, I personally did not enjoy fighting it, as I do not like to powder paint, I would rather use an airbrush, but lots of folks do not mind, or spent more time on it than I did :) That and I was never a large user, at $10 a jar I would still feel I got my money's worth out of it.