Powder paint prices??

Also there is blending your own colors. Have special mixes like:

Olive

Pearl white with holograph glitter

Diamond mirror black

Candy apple red with holograph glitter

Electric blue with blue glitter

Emerald green with green flake

Ledhed you are dead on here. Once you guys get bored with single colors, then you move on to multi-colors. In multi-colors, all your colors have to be blended in to look like they flow together, similar to air brushing, except it’s a lot harder with powder paint. I do multi-colors up to six colors, and so does Ledhed. I know my work, and I’ve seen Ledheds, once you see what people can do, you will be amazed once you start thinking outside the box. I am currently working on a bass pattern out of powder. I came up with a bass pattern, and then I sent it over to Ledhed. He sent me his, and I was amazed at what different powder paints can do. “Ledhed you and I have to spend more time creating”. This is the reason why we do this, to create something different. Different sells, sometimes for a good $. Maybe this is too extreme for some, but I always liked to do things people say are not possible.

So how different are they? just different heat ranges to use or more airpressure needed? I am looking at buying some more paint in bulk and just doing some research I have had the best luck with protec from TJ's but I want to buy from somewhere that I can get bigger quanties

What I'm talking here mainly is about using multi-colors. All powder can be put in a fluid bed. All powder may or may not work as well as others you have. You may have to adjust the air flow, or the powder just may not work in there at all. But at #3/lb., I can dip them in a powder cup just as fast, however I may not want to do 200 this way. All manufactures have powder specs, with heat ranges and pencil hardness tests. Like I said before, I have no problem with Pro-tech, but when I’m looking for colors to blend that they don’t sell what do I do? I look for other sources. Yes all the powders from all the different companies I use have slightly different baking temps, and different powder chemical make-ups. Since I use sometimes more than 1 color from each manufacturer on 1 jig, I have to keep one constant temp. So I came up with 350° for 15 minutes. It has always worked for me with no complaints. I know you’re all going to say that every paint color has certain paint baking criteria. If we were painting cars or parts for the military, than yes you would have a valid point. But after all guys these are jigs, I’m not conveying to make crap, but my jigs look and last just as good and as long as the next guys. Just my personal opinion.

Cadman,

Like you, I find that all of them cure well at 350* for 15 minutes or so.

Also, my "cheap" paint makes a better, smoother finish, without the pinholes that Pro-Tec tends to make. It flows out better, and has a stronger surface tension, so it doesn't drip. I believe this is related to WHY it doesn't seem to go as far. It is finer, and more of it attaches to the jig at the same temperatures.

But here is a trick you may appreciate... I accidentally discovered that if I mix a 2 oz jar of Pro-tec white into a pound of the "cheap" white stuff, it does NOT blow around anymore. I did it just to consolidate containers, but noticed the DISTINCT change immediately. And the funny thing is that the mix blows around LESS than the PRo-Tec alone. They must have an ion attraction or something. But the finish is still superior. The best of both worlds.

I'll still buy Pro-Tec, because it really is good stuff. But I do too many jigs for wholesale use to use it exclusively. Especially for plain white jigs.

TH

Cadman,

Like you, I find that all of them cure well at 350* for 15 minutes or so.

Also, my "cheap" paint makes a better, smoother finish, without the pinholes that Pro-Tec tends to make. It flows out better, and has a stronger surface tension, so it doesn't drip. I believe this is related to WHY it doesn't seem to go as far. It is finer, and more of it attaches to the jig at the same temperatures.

But here is a trick you may appreciate... I accidentally discovered that if I mix a 2 oz jar of Pro-tec white into a pound of the "cheap" white stuff, it does NOT blow around anymore. I did it just to consolidate containers, but noticed the DISTINCT change immediately. And the funny thing is that the mix blows around LESS than the PRo-Tec alone. They must have an ion attraction or something. But the finish is still superior. The best of both worlds.

I'll still buy Pro-Tec, because it really is good stuff. But I do too many jigs for wholesale use to use it exclusively. Especially for plain white jigs.

TH

I get a smooth finish with all my powder paints. I really don't have an issue with that. Also I never if ever get drips from painted jigs when I bake them. My philosophy on that is simple. If you get paint drips, then you put on way too much powder. Also about applying powder is this if you are going to put on 6 colors you better start thinking less powder is better. You will never ever accomplish putting 6 colors on if you put on a lot of powder paint. I have mentioned in the past, that I do have problems with white powder. I have at least 20 different brands of white at home that I have tried, to find the perfect flowing white. As of this date, I have not found the perfect white. They all are a pain in the ***, and they all have their own quirks about them. However, I do make a nice white jig, it's just that it's harder to work with. Similar to what you stated above, a member by the name of Shawn M, mixed Protec white with their Pearl, and said he had excellent results with it, as far as flow and workabilitiy. I will have to try that and see how it goes. Maybe mixing some of my different white powder paints will make a super workable white powder. I'll try some different ratios, write them down, and post it at a later date with my findings. All in all, white and black are my biggest sellers, but try multi-colors, it's like giving candy to a baby, everyone wants it and likes it, and it sells big time.

So you got any pics of those multi colors that we can see. everytime I try it don't come out the way i think it should

To all the guys on this forum. You will notice that I have never posted any pics on TU's gallery. It's not that I have anything to hide, I'ts not that I'm better than anyone else here. I'm not an arrogant, self centered, ****. It's just that my work is very personal to me, and I just don't go showing it off. If anyone wants to see some of my jigs, I would be more than glad to e-mail you some pics. Also if you would like to trade a few jigs we can discuss this also, off line. I am more than willing to help anyone who wants to take powder painting to the next level. 90% of multi-color powder painting is practice. The rest is having the right tools for the right job, and patience. Watch for my new Avatar coming soon, it will have 1 or 2 of my jigs on it. bgcountry e-mail sent..........

I can attest to everything cadman is saying. I have some of his jigs and they are beyond 'awesome'. I do a ton of powder painting and when I saw what he does with them, I was amazed. I have a project coming at me that will require that I use his technique to achieve such fantastic results. I have been practicing but still need a lot more.

Personally, I don't think a picture would give any justice to the content of such a small item, trade him something to see for yourself. I would also like to see some of LedHed's to compare the work of two masters.

PP prices vary (a lot) – Pro-Tec is probably right in the middle. Good place to start. To try the more inexpensive stuff, on the learning curve, might be too frustrating (not worth the savings).

bgcountry00

Have some pics posted in the gallery in the fly section and jig section.

reeves

Thnx for the compliment – always open for a swap. PM your snail mail.

I get a smooth finish with all my powder paints.

I have mentioned in the past, that I do have problems with white powder. As of this date, I have not found the perfect white. They all are a pain in the ***, and they all have their own quirks about them.

Maybe mixing some of my different white powder paints will make a super workable white powder. I'll try some different ratios, write them down, and post it at a later date with my findings. All in all, white and black are my biggest sellers, but try multi-colors, it's like giving candy to a baby, everyone wants it and likes it, and it sells big time.

Cadman,

I'd have to say this mix I'm using is the "perfect" white! It's made me forget about white troubles in the past. DEFINITELY try mixing some and see what comes of it!

Also, I'd consider your advice about going multi-color. I only do two-tone at present, and not many of those lately. I'll look for your avatar to get some ideas, as I'm not even sure what to look for.

Thanks for a great thread, guys!

-TH

Cadman,

I'd have to say this mix I'm using is the "perfect" white! It's made me forget about white troubles in the past. DEFINITELY try mixing some and see what comes of it!

Also, I'd consider your advice about going multi-color. I only do two-tone at present, and not many of those lately. I'll look for your avatar to get some ideas, as I'm not even sure what to look for.

Thanks for a great thread, guys!

-TH

I don't know if your question is about what an avatar is or my jigs. An avatar is the picture under my name Cadman in all my threads and posts. In my case my avatar has an outline of the state of IL, with the bass club I belong to, "Anglers Unlimited, Lake County IL." My new avatar will have either (1) or (2) of my painted jigs on it. If you're looking for some more info on multi-color powder painting, PM me your e-mail, and I will send you my tutorial.

Cadman,

Sorry for not being clear!

What I was trying to convey was that I appreciate the recommendation to go multi-color, but I don't even know where to start, not having much experience with painting. I'm one of those guys that tends to use plain lead jigs just as much as painted ones.

Above, you mentioned that you were going to put some jigs in your avatar, so I was looking forward to seeing your work.

For trade, I could swap you for some killer epoxy jigs/flies or my big-rubba if you chase fish that eat 10-12" bait. The former are technically epoxy flies, but since they weigh as much as jigs, you can cast them with light tackle with no problem. They have been deadly for LM, SM bass, pike, stripers, and seatrout.

Funny, but I've found that my off-the-cuff "silly lure" creations have tended to be very successful fish-catchers, while my carefully planned out "serious" lures have not been as successful. I have theories of why, but it's an interesting study.

Anyway, I'd love to learn from you! My email is tonyhill@tidalwave.net. Thanks!

-TH

Cadman,

Sorry for not being clear!

What I was trying to convey was that I appreciate the recommendation to go multi-color, but I don't even know where to start, not having much experience with painting. I'm one of those guys that tends to use plain lead jigs just as much as painted ones.

Above, you mentioned that you were going to put some jigs in your avatar, so I was looking forward to seeing your work.

For trade, I could swap you for some killer epoxy jigs/flies or my big-rubba if you chase fish that eat 10-12" bait. The former are technically epoxy flies, but since they weigh as much as jigs, you can cast them with light tackle with no problem. They have been deadly for LM, SM bass, pike, stripers, and seatrout.

Funny, but I've found that my off-the-cuff "silly lure" creations have tended to be very successful fish-catchers, while my carefully planned out "serious" lures have not been as successful. I have theories of why, but it's an interesting study.

Anyway, I'd love to learn from you! My email is tonyhill@tidalwave.net. Thanks!

-TH

Tony,

FYI and for the future, it's better to discuss personal issues off line through e-mails. I don't want to put you on the spot, or have you commit to anything. Vica versa. Also I don't know if you want everyone to know your e-mail address. Just some persoanl advice........ E-mail sent.

Guys

Maybe, I didn