Pop

Mold Oil

What is being used for oiling jig mold hinges. Do-it says 20 or 30 weight motor oil. What are you putting the oil in that will allow oiling the small hinges. I have been using 2 in1 oil but I'm afraid that may not be good enough. Any suggestions? Thanks, Pop

Pop,

I use 2 in 1 oil also. My personal opinion is this. Any kind of oil is beter than no oil. When the molds get so hot, that you can not touch them, all oil will start to become watery and liquid. I've used 2 in 1 oil for going on 8 years, and I've yet to spring a hinge on a mold. I pour all year long, with no problem. If you are paranoid, just ad more oil. JMHO...........Ted

Guys, I don't know if it's better than any other oil. I got it free from a friend, and I've been using it ever since. He got it a Menard's. I know I have never seen it smoke. I found this out, when I was pouring weights from really hard printers lead, and I had my Lee pot up all the way, man was that mold hot, when I was done. Yet I didn't see any smoke, not that, that matters. I apply a drop on the top and one on the bottom of the hinge every time I start to pour. I open and close the mold a couple of times, and I'm good to go.

Hmmm.... In 7-8 years, I've never oiled mine. They operate perfectly, so I've never bothered.

If they are smooth, is there a reason I SHOULD be oiling them?

My first question is how often do you pour? Even if it's once a year per mold you should oil the hinge. I believe the mold at the hinge area is held together by roll pins. You need to oil those hinges, I even put in oil down the roll pins on both hinges. Then I wipe off the excess. Even if you use used motor oil, some oil is beter than no oil.

Huh, and I oil after every use since all my Do-its are inscribed "OIL HINGES OFTEN". How often do you change the oil in your vehicle? Just wondering, not being sarcastic.

I'm with you on this. I oil before, during, and after. This may be overkill, but when it says " OIL HINGES OFTEN", it must be there for a reason.

Interesting responses...

How many jigs I pour depends on the season. I've poured about 1,100 jigs this week, if that gives you any idea, using 3 molds. These molds have seen MANY thousands of jigs over the years.

I plan to oil them when they get tight or squeaky or whatever, but they never have. They work exactly the same way now as they did when I bought them. They have not gotten any tighter or looser. Do It makes a great mold!

I'm sorry Hawnjigs, but a hand mold is NOT an internal-combustion engine! So the comparison seems...not so fitting. But I accept your word that you are not being sarcastic, so I will answer your question.

As a construction contractor, I use my trucks very heavily, towing big heavy stuff on a daily basis. And I'm happy to say that ALL of my trucks have make it the full 10 years that I keep them without ANY major problems. Not a single one. Most have over 200,000 miles on them before I sell or give them to my best workers, and then they live on for many years after that.

How often is oil changed? 4 times a year, regardless of mileage. Transmission fluid is changed once a year, regardless of mileage.

And the proof is in the pudding. Even after all these years, my first truck, a 1986, is still on it's original engine and transmission WITHOUT being overhauled or rebuilt, even to this day. Awesome truck.

Over the last two decades, I've watched other contractors constantly replacing engines and transmissions. Why do our trucks last so long, especially since we run them so hard? I don't know exactly, but RESULTS are what I care about.

ALL of my equipment tends to have a long life span. I still have most of my original tools from back when I was a 19-year old newbie, and they still work just fine. I sometimes think that the more you use a machine, the longer it will last. As long as you don't abuse it.

-TH

I second the thanks for the reply, Thill. I just follow the instructions that came with my first Do-It mold, that I got as a birthday present in December, that recommended to oil the hinge at least once every pouring session, and to let the mold cool and re-oil it if the oil smokes. But you've obviously poured a heluva lot more jigs than I have, so who am I to say?

I use 3-in-1 oil, never even heard of 2-in-1 before. The 3-in-1 does smoke a little if the mold is real hot.

Hawnjigs,

All of our trucks have been Ford F-series. No particular reason. My first P/U was an F-150 with a HD tow package, and it worked so flawlessly that I just kept buying them. I loaded that thing so heavy at times I'm surprised it didn't break in half! Since then, I've moved to hauling most of the heavy stuff with trailers, mainly using the trucks as tool boxes and tow vehicles.

That being said, I know others who have had TERRIBLE times with Ford, so I'm not sure what to say, besides that we have had great success with them.

I think the tranny oil changes are almost more important than the engine oil changes. DEFINITELY don't skimp on that one! But they say if you've gone 50K without doing it, leave it alone, as changing it late will "stir up" stuff and cause problems. Best to wait until you get a new vehicle, and then start it off right.

Also, if you have ever owned a new boat, and know the proper "break in" for an outboard engine, although autos supposedly don't "need" this done, if you do, it SEEMS to really make a difference. Particularly in the fuel efficiency, power and longevity of the engine. Making sure that everything seats properly in a new engine can't be bad for it, right?

Also, I forgot to mention that I change the AIR filters often. I think grit getting in the engine is a big cause of wear.

Sorry for digressing from tackle talk. But hopefully, this is helpful to someone.

-TH