oscarsteel

Can't pour 1/2 oz ultra minnow spinnerbait..Help

This is my first post here. I have been able to find the answer to every question I had until now. This forum is great for newbies like myself. I have been pouring perfect 1/4 and 3/8 oz ultra minnow spinnerbaits for about six months now. But I can't get the 1/2 oz to pour complete. I get one out of 15 to pour complete. I have tried tilting the mold, added wax as a flux, heating the mold, hooks, and wire. I don't know what else to do.

I use a mix of tire weights and soft plumbing lead. It works perfect for the 3/8 and 1/4. What else can try? Any help will be much appricated.

If the problem is with the collar area not filling out maybe you need to vent it. Scratch a fine line from the collar are out to the edge. This will give the air an excape route. I modified the ultra minnow jig mold and have problems with the 1/8 oz. I ended up having to use pure lead on that one. Good luck.

I have kept any of the bad ones. I remelt them. The problem is always the front or head. Just behind the eyes. It pours fine up to the gate I guess.

I will pour some today and try to post a picture. Not real good with a computer but I'll try.

You guys are great. I wasn't expecting a reply that quick!! Thanks

You could try adding tin to your lead. This will make your mix flow better. This will also make the sprue harder to break off cleanly.

Chuck Vanover

Tight Line Anglers Products

PH. 440-277-1511

Fax 440-277-9152

Where do I get tin? Would lead free plumbing solder work? Would adding tin make the bait more durable also? Thanks for your help.

Oscar,

I had the very same problem with that mold. Could not get the nose area to completely fill. I got the mold super hot, I smoked it repeatedly, I tilted during the pour and nothing would work. Then I vented the area that was not filling. Do it just like Tony Maxwell explained and I think you will solve your problem, it did mine. I wouldn't add any tin until you try that first. Many of Do-it's molds recommend soft lead. Good Luck!

There's a lot of info in recent posts in this area regarding tin supply, lead alloys, etc. Whats happening in your mold is an air bubble is forming and not allowing lead to fill in so the suggestions to scratch an air vent to allow the air to escape from the cavity at the trouble spot should help. Or soft lead with 2-4% solder added might delay melt freeze longer and allow the bubble to be pushed out before the sprue hardens. Pouring a thinner stream of melt if possible that doesn't flood the gate will also help. Last resort you can try cracking the mold SLIGHTLY during pouring to allow air to excape - too much crack and the casting will flash.

I tried scratching a small vent in the problem area. It worked!! Now they are flawless. Thank you all for your replys. I knew if there was way to fix it I would find the answer here. I have been very impressed with amount of knowledge shared in this forum. Again THANK YOU all.

That reply sums up my opinion of this site.

Every time i had a question,sure as s#$t,it got answered and many times over.

Now i just need to contribute more.