outdooradvantage

rigging a 7 1/2 inch fluke

I think it'll work I just have to find some larger hooks. The biggest I have is 5/0 and the hook does'nt seem to be in far enough. I will try to 6/0 or 7/0 if they have them. Thanks again for the info...............Jeff

No problem, That's what everyone is here for.

What you fishing the fluke for?

For fresh, I would take a straight shank 4/0 or 5/0, not an ewg. then thread it so the shank runs parrell to the fluke and the hook is exposed out the back.

For salt, I would take a big jig head, and rig it the same, but have the lead heavy enough to take it down to the bottom.

What's hes fishin a fluke for?!!?!

I kill it with flukes down here in San Diego. I pour a large one as well, maybe 6 inches or so, I've never measured. I made the mold from POP. It's a four cavity mold, my most sucessful fluke is a redish top with a clear/silver belly.

I rig 'em Texas style usually, with a large hook, ewg, and a heavy bullet weight. .762 bullet size...lol, about an ounce.

I've tried Hook-up's method as well, I use a jighead down the back. Actually I made my fluke mold with a thicker back so the bait can be used multi purpose like that.

The Calico bass live em in the kelp.

Willy

Hey Jeff! The trouble with big flukes is that no matter how big your hook, that is still a WAD of plastic to set a hook through. I pour a heavy 6 1/2" fluke type bait, and tried MANY rigs to make it work right. Lots of great hits but very few bass landed...Heres what I finally came up with...the nose hook rig. I use a 5/0 weedless Gamakatsu Shiner hook- kahle style. I think Matzuo sells a similar hook. The nose hook method gives the bait incredible action, but the bonus is the hook-up ratio is a whole world better. I make two baits ...one with salt made to sink, and one made without salt to work closer to the surface. Hope this helps...Dave