Cuttem Jack

Making Flashabou Musky Bucktails

PDF File Attached

This is how I build my bucktails.

DSCF1085.jpg

The first picture is the tools that I use. I got a pair of round nose pliers, needle nose, vice grips, flashabou beads and blades.

DSCF1087.jpg

I first put on the 7/0 treble with four wraps and heat shrink it on. I then use a 1/4 ounce egg sinker for extra weight.

DSCF1088.jpg

These are two coils that the flashabou will be tied to. I use a throttle cable assembly that I buy at lowe's, pull out the cable and use the housing. I usually cut between 3/4 to an inch long.

DSCF1086.jpg

If you plan on making these, I highly recommend using this type of flashabou. It is thicker and holds its shape much better. The one I'm building here is regular flashabou and I make this a little different. I'll explain in a bit.

DSCF1089.jpg

In this step, I'm tying the flashabou to the coil. I use an allen wrench to hold the coil on my vice. On the first coil, I usually try to tie it even. I usually use around 1/2 to 2/3 of the flashabou. On the fly fiber, I'll use the whole thing. When tying the second coil, I try to tie 1/3 of regular flashabou on top, fly fiber is in middle. The regular flashabou is too flimsy to tie in middle and seems to get hung up too much in the middle treble. Tying 1/3 on top helps too keep from tangling. I use hard as nails on the thread and then zip tie the coils for extra strength.

DSCF1090.jpg

Here I slid the first coil onto the wire. I then use a piece of surgical tubing, 1 inch to seperate the second coil from the first.

DSCF1091.jpg

Both coils on the wire.

DSCF1092.jpg

I then put one 1/4 inch bead on, then my two split rings for the second treble, then two more 1/4 inch beads. Don't place second treble on until last step! Unless you want to hook yourself!! I then place lure body on, then 1 1/4inch bead, then 4 7/32 beads.

DSCF1093.jpg

I then put on the clevis's with the blades attached. I interwine them as shown in the photos.

DSCF1094.jpg

One more 7/32 bead and then I make my loop. Then, I cut the end of the flashabou to the back end of the hook.

DSCF1095.jpg

The last step is placing the treble on. I usually use a 5/0 or another 7/0 hook. I use .051 diameter wire. Some use .062 but I think it's too hard to bend and really not needed. If you have never made a round loop with wire before, it helps to buy some thinner wire( jerkbait leaders) and practice!! It's much easier to learn with thinner wire and you don't mess up your good bucktail wires. Also, if a fish does bend it, cut it and add the parts to another wire. I keep extras in the boat with me and can put it back together in less than ten minutes. Good luck and I hoped this helps! If you make some, post them up!!

Flashabou Musky Bucktails.pdf

• Like 2

When you put on two blades with interlocking clevises there is no way they can counter rotate they can counter balance each other it seems they spread apart 180 degrees and balance each other out and you dont feel the thump of a single blade wich can be a great thing depending on a lot of variables. I still make a couple with one blade and the flash each has done me good.

and as far as detail goes try it once with the pictures it will turn out perfect if you tie in enough flash I think this tutorial is perfect it is just like color by number

Thanks for the shrink wrap trick I get a better hook up

George

The only question I have is what everyone recommends to do for two treble hooks? I cannot seem to find out what people do for double treble hooks. And with the coils, do you tie the flash on the entire coil, or do you only use certain sections of it, like the middle, top, etc?

The only question I have is what everyone recommends to do for two treble hooks? I cannot seem to find out what people do for double treble hooks. And with the coils, do you tie the flash on the entire coil, or do you only use certain sections of it, like the middle, top, etc?

bead

split ring split ring+treble hook

bead

bead

bead

bead

bucktails

eggsinker

treblehook