chas48

help...help..HELP.!!

I spent all winter making Arkie jigs,stand up jigs and shakie head jigs. Ive been fishing 4 times now and broke off 6 times !! I have not broken off 2 times in the last 3 years on a hook set. At first I thought it was bad line, but it has now happend on 3 diffrent reels w/ 3 diffrent lines. The only common factor is, the breaks are all on the jigs I made....

Now, I have gotten paint on the eyes of the hooks and have tried to clean them out. Could this be the ONLY thing it is?

If you scrape the paint out of the eyes and scratch up the metal, it could very well be just that. any little bur or burs on the hook eye will act like little razors and cause breakage. If you get paint in the eye, try using a hook and just poke the paint out. The less you fool with it, the better. Maybe use a toothpick or piece of one in the eye before you paint to keep the paint out. I'm sure some of the guys here can help you more than I can on that subject. But remember, a rough hook eye (whether burs or rust) can and will cause breaks.

Jay

My first thought was paint left in the eye, how are you getting the paint out? My second thought was, how old is your line? To get paint out I heat up a piece of spinnerbait wire or a paper clip and run it thru the eye before I bake it. Since I invested in a fluid bed I dont get paint clogging up the eyes anymore.

Are you actually reeling up the broken knot? If you are then you really need to use a round smooth point to clean your jig eyes. If you use something with an edge on it, thats probably your problem. Those stainless dental picks are good at popping out paint without burring up the hook eye.

I think the answer is as stated above, the surface of the eye. You need to take a close look, under a microscope if possible or a magnifying glass and compare with a shop bought jig or an out of the box hook.

I first cleaned my eyes with a dremel bit, but I did notice the surface finish of the hook was BADLY damaged, so now I am much more careful and after reading this thread, even more careful.

Many use a piece of wire in a dremel. This should work fine as the wire wall is smooth. If anything, this will polish the eye and improve the line attachment. But if the end of the wire rattles against the eye surface, damage will result. I am going to experiment with a tooth pick in a dremel. The idea is that the friction heat will soften up the epoxy and facilitate the removal. It will be several weeks, so feel free to try it. The important thing is not to disturb the seal to the body.

The trick here is to use a hemostat clamp (surgical type) i have sevral in three sizes 4'',6'', & 8'' ones the 4'' ones work well for holding the eye of you jig while you dip n swish in the FB ;)

you could possably get away with long nose pliers to do this job aswell but i like the hemos as you can lock them into place

what type of rod/line set are you using on the 3 rigs you have?? the reason i ask, a guy that buys alot of jigs from me sort of complained of the same thing.. then i found out he was trying to use 6lb florocarbon with a med-heavy casting rod... i asked him to tie the line to a fence post or something and see if he could break it in the yard (jig or no jig)... well, he found out he needed a little heavier line.. or a lighter rod..

8lbs fluro on spinning tackle(3/16thoz),last year no problem this year (new jigs) problem.....switched to 12 lb fluro on baitcaster(1/4 oz) ...problem (both w/ stand up jigs, 10 break offs) then went to 14 lb mono on bait casting and arkie jig(up to 1/2 oz). Last year no problem, this year at least 2 breaks............12+ breaks in 3 tournaments. I think Im gonna run braided line through all my jig heads to polish out the paint............its just that I didnt have this trouble last year (my 1st year at making jigs).

Could it also be that now since you make your own jigs you don't worry about buying more, or finding more in that color, so you are more apt to throw them in places that you wouldn't before? I know that happened to me when I first started making jigs. Also, just because you went out and bought a spool of line from the store does not necessarily mean that it's "new". I have had trouble with specific lot numbers of line in the past and had to go to a different store for the same line to get a different lot number.

Well out of 70 jigs Im throwing away about 45. Most of them stand up jigs. I ran mono through them back and forth, if it snagged I tossed them. My thinking is you can get away w/ a little paint on most jig eyes because the knot isnt going to move much on the hook set. But on a stand up jig its gonna move about 45 degrees on the hook set. If there is any paint chips there, the line will break. Im gonna start a new thread and ask that question...

I know I'm coming into this late... Are you using powder paint or powder coat? I just saw a powder coat process in use that looked fantastic and I don't think there was ever that kind of problem. There was an issue with one color not bonding to the jig as it should have, but I think that was being worked on.

Put a piece of panty hose through your line guides. I once did this years ago, and discovered that ALL my rods had cracked ceramic inserts. Now I check regularly, but haven't had a problem since I started building my own rods.

Also, clean your jig eyes BEFORE curing your powder paint.

Hope you figure it out.

-TH