heinzc

Dry Powder

I am new to the forum and I really love everybody's willingness to help each other out. My question is on keeping powder paint dry. My workshop is in the basement of my house. Up until this last year I have been painting my spinnerbaits with vinyl (guess it is just a habit being a auto body guy) Reading different threads on this board convinced me to try powder and a fluid bed. I really like some of the things you can do with powder. My concern is that my basement does get slightly damp feeling in the summer even with a de-humidifier. How can I be sure that I keep the powder dry and what if it does get a little damp? Is there a way to dry it?

Hello heinzc, welcome to TU. I'm glad you have done some reading to familiarize yourself with the subject of powder painting. You have some good questions.

Not sure what type containers your paint is in. If it is jars or plastic containers with lids, make sure your lids are always on TIGHT. If they are in plastic bags, I would suggest that you double or triple bag them with each being tied off real well. A large cooler is a great and inexpensive 'dry' place to store your powder. Most of these are relatively air tight and work great.

If the humidity has gotten to your paint, it will clump it up. Break it up as fine as you can as you do not want any clumps in your fluid bed cups. Those clumps that just won't break down are history and should be thrown out.

Hope I helped some and others will chime in with additional help. Good luck.

heinzc

I store 100's of pounds of powder in my basement. First of all I'm sure your not going to have as much as I am. If you're going to buy pounds of powder keep them in their original bag, and take what you need, then reclose the plastic bag. If you buy the powder in its original container, then just make sure you close the powder after each use. Iv'e never had any problems with powder clumping on me. But George Reeves is right if it does clump up, it is definitely useable, do not throw it away. Also you mentiond a fluid bed. I strongly suggest you take the powder out of the fluid bed when you're done. It will absorb moisture sitting in the fluid bed even with a lid on top, which in turn will give you problems. Remember every basement is different, so moisture may be more in one than in the other. Also I get a lot of humidity by us in the summer. Again keep your powder closed tightly. For all you guys that buy 1 and 2 lb lots, the best container I found to keep powder dry is an empty clean Gatorade bottle. If you look under the cap it has a silicone liner which once you screw it on it seals really well. That is how I send my powder to other people. Just my :twocents: worth.

Keep containers closed tightly. Zip the jars inside a gallon ziplock bag, if the jar alone is not enoug. Store the bags somewhere warm, such as above your computer and monitor or some other equipment. Probably, the zip bags will be enough. Best wishes.

-TH