SeaEagle

How To Mass Pour Soft Plastic Lures???

hi. i haven't posted a new thread up here but have learned alot from many of you. and now i have a question and i am wondering if you guys can give me some tips.

i now have a bait that i like very much and i can pour plenty for myself, but i am quickly running into a problem of needing MUCH more bait than i am able to pour myself. i need to know how and/or what i need to be able to pour soft plastic swim baits in the 1,000's in a short amount of time to keep up with my demand.

has anyone solved this problem or know how or what i can do to get the numbers i need to pour?

Don't count out getting some one with quality injection equipment to do it for you.

Figure your costs and how many you will be selling (aprox) and make your decision from there.

Lures are notorious about getting hot then cooling off REAL QUICK ... the possibility of some one with capabilities and distribution all ready set up to "Knock It Off" can kill you as well.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it may help a little ..

JSC

A couple of these, some helpers and molds, how many would you like? 1 person and 5-7 molds is a good ratio or 1 pot with 2 taps so 2 users can pour at once. A good table with a jig to hold th emolds and slide them along under the nipple. 162648.jpg

142828.jpg

Edited by mbroggi1
additional info

No one has asked whether or not these baits have more than 1 color in them. From the posts above its assumed its a 1 pour deal. Most of the swim baits I have done using Lurecraft molds have had a least 2 colors and sometimes 3. Factoring out an injection machine and using the best in pouring pots I can't see anyone pouring 1000 of these in a day, unless you have a lot of molds and a lot of people pouring. If these baits have any size at all its going to take a lot longer to cool them off. You have the business, thats the good thing. Figuring the best way to whip them out is another thing. Wish you the best and will be interested to see how you resolve the problem.

No one has asked whether or not these baits have more than 1 color in them. From the posts above its assumed its a 1 pour deal. Most of the swim baits I have done using Lurecraft molds have had a least 2 colors and sometimes 3. Factoring out an injection machine and using the best in pouring pots I can't see anyone pouring 1000 of these in a day, unless you have a lot of molds and a lot of people pouring. If these baits have any size at all its going to take a lot longer to cool them off. You have the business, thats the good thing. Figuring the best way to whip them out is another thing. Wish you the best and will be interested to see how you resolve the problem.

ah! you see my dilemma!!! i do have pots like the ones shown in this thread. but those are for samples and prototypes and new color combos. yes i do have the market for my baits and i can't won't be able to make the baits in the numbers needed.

as for my baits, yes they are two and three color swimbaits. so i need to know how the "big boys" do it, what equiment they use, or some company that can handle the quantity i need. and that is about 10,000 or more per color. and i have 5 colors at this time.

I think 10 to 15 molds for one guy should be enough. But you still have to pour for a day. Unless you get a high production injection thing. But thats not a hand poured plastic any more. If people want hand poured they should know it takes time for quality plastics and the best plastics around.

King Bait Co., again someone that's been misled by the big plastic companies. Remember quality is not important to most big boys, it is all about quantity and profit. High production injection can produce a very high quality bait, a large amount in a very short amount of time. It's up to whoever is operating the machine. Our company is all about quality plastic. We can make large quantities that are comparable to almost any hand pour. Don't get me wrong, there are limitations in high production, but a person that cares enough about the product and willing to put that extra flake, salt, scent, and very close monitoring of the equipment will produce a very good product. Anyone interested in some information about high production PM me and I'll be glad to answer your questions but as most people have probably already read, it's very expensive.

most swimbaits are open pour so injection wouldnt work.

if this is an open pour bait ( sounds ike it do to 2 and 3 color pours) the ONLY way to do it is to have lots of molds and multiple pouring pots. ( you can inject it if the molds are remade for 3 color and its costly).

California swimbabes and most if not most of the other big swim bait manfacuters use labor and lots of molds with a person at each pouring pot, they just fill it up to what ever depth then slide it down to the next person. ( like an assembly line). then manufacture fans to cool the molds off for faster turn around time.

if you have a good master make your molds out of resin in the long run it will be more expensive due to you have to remake them after x amount of pours as they were out/break etc. you also wont get the really fine detail. but it works and works very good.

The master needs to be made out of something hard, wood aluminum steel brass etc. this way it wont bend when pouring resin and every bait will be exact. if you use a soft master your baits will never be 100% correct because you wont always be able to get the master in the mold perfectly.

if your mechanically inclined a few stepper motors a control system some pots and a few odds n ends and you can be running pretty cheap, if your not mechanically inclined then your going to have to pay someone who is or do it like some ways mentioned.

if 20-50k is no problem then looking into a automated set-up like robo worms is a possibility and one - two people can run it. or you can inject them.

in the high end swimbait workd the robo worm system is the best and most effeciant set up avail.

again that all depends on what your bait looks like and the bottom line of how much money you have to spend. if you don't have 20+k start small and work your way up with molds and high quality pots and maybe a helper or 2.

There are a bunch of ways to do it, its just how you want to start it off.