21xdc

CSI Paint has a water base epoxy

Not sure if you guys knew this. It's something that they offer that is not on their web site. Jig & Lure Paint Supplier to the Fishing Tackle Industry - CS Coatings Mike the paint chemist talked with me about alot of different options for my needs. He is sending me a free sample to play with. It's a 2:1 mixture that cleans up with water. Might be an option for the airbrush guys for easy clean up and not solvent based.

Just thought I'd pass this on....

Mike

Waterborne epoxy looks like a pretty cool newer technology. I have a project at work to formulate a coating to adhere to stainless steel. From all resin manufacturer recomendations, w/b epoxy was the way to go. The application is for high abrasion resistance, so I'll have a good idea how they perform in lure applications. The only problems I see is that they're really low solids(30-40%), so it will generally take quite a few coats to get a descent film build. Some of the hardeners are also a bit nastier than usual. Some use isocyanate. Many also need heat in the range of 300F+ to cure properly. BUT, like I said, it looks pretty cool and looks promising. I'll report back. :)

Thanks

Not sure if you guys knew this. It's something that they offer that is not on their web site. Jig & Lure Paint Supplier to the Fishing Tackle Industry - CS Coatings Mike the paint chemist talked with me about alot of different options for my needs. He is sending me a free sample to play with. It's a 2:1 mixture that cleans up with water. Might be an option for the airbrush guys for easy clean up and not solvent based.

Just thought I'd pass this on....

Mike

Cyanoacrylate is crazy glue.

Downriver,

Is that isocyanate stuff the same stuff that's in crazy glue?

When you smell crazy glue, is that stuff getting into your lungs?

I asked you on another thread, but missed the answer.

I just want to know how careful I need to be with crazy glue.

I can't afford to lose any more lung function.

Downriver,

Is that isocyanate stuff the same stuff that's in crazy glue?

When you smell crazy glue, is that stuff getting into your lungs?

I asked you on another thread, but missed the answer.

I just want to know how careful I need to be with crazy glue.

I can't afford to lose any more lung function.

Jameso is right. It is still a type of isocyanate though. Basically, just with an acrylic polymer added. Something like that and the amount used isn't much of a concern because it is meant to react super-fast and has already done so before it reaches your lungs, but I wouldn't recommend breathing too much of it. Most of what you smell is a byproduct of the reaction. The real concern is when spraying isocyanate-cured paints. They release lots of breathable mist and the iso reacts much slower and isn't reacted yet when it reaches you lungs, and is just dying to link up with some oxygen in them.

Thanks for the reassuring words.

That takes a big load off my mind.

I try to keep the area open and well ventilated when I use that stuff.

I find the brush on formula of crazy glue is so handy I use it all the time. Anything from an on-the-water top coat repair, to treating line cuts and hook holes in my hands.

It's a pretty good glue, too. :eek:

I even use it to seat lips in crank baits, when the line tie is separate, and to lock ballast into my baits before I seal over it with epoxy.

Well, I mixed up a batch and applied it to two baits. They finished OK with some bubbling that I had to work out of them. It dried crystal clear in an hour or two. The batch has still not even firmed up and is all milky looking. :angry: Even after 2 days. :whistle:

Looks like I'll be sticking to my crystal shene or devcon 2 ton.

Although the brushs did clean up easily with water... :lol: