pigdestroyer

Presto Pot Stirrer

Short video of what works for me, if you need any help let me know.

DropShots.com

50 rpm motor Grainger 1LNG1

1 1/4" aluminum stock, mounting base

Paddle 1.125 aluminum stock

3/8" threaded rod and coupling for shaft

1.5" square wood stock for mounting and centering blocks.

Total cost is about $110.00 I have built over 30 and the design works well.

Edited by mbroggi1

I was thinking the same. I was planning on turning a high temp silicone spatula into 2 strips like a wiper blade and attach it to the bottom of my current paddle.

But I set the paddle to pot bottom clearnace to about 1/8" and the stirring motion creates a wave of mix that scavenges the bottom while turning .

Video.

http://www.dropshots.com/MBroggi#date/2008-02-02/16:04:28

Edited by mbroggi1

Thanks Mike. That is the motor I purchased. It should be here next week. I have to go to Home Depot this week to pick up a nipple for the pot. I got the wrong size (3/8"), I guess I need a 1/4". I will pick up the rest of the stuff then.

Thanks.

Short video of what works for me, if you need any help let me know.

DropShots.com

50 rpm motor Grainger 1LNG1

1 1/4" aluminum stock, mounting base

Paddle 1.125 aluminum stock

3/8" threaded rod and coupling for shaft

1.5" square wood stock for mounting and centering blocks.

Total cost is about $110.00 I have built over 30 and the design works well.

50 RPM keeps the plastic in motion and a consistant glitter/salt mix at all times. Again the clearance between the pot bottom and paddle of 1/8" is pretty tight to you dont get that glob of glitter sitting in the pot. I do have some holes in the paddle that I feel help in the process. I have tried several different paddle designs and think this is the best. My orignal ones had side cleanrance paddle to pot of 1/8" as well as bottom but found that the plastic needed some room to flow so now I go about 1/2" on the sides.

50 Rpm may be a bit for that much paddle. Whats nice is as rpms go down torque goes up. Take and try Swiss cheesing that paddle a bit and off set holes on each blade. I found it helps a bit with the mixture as well as relieving some of the load on the motor.

That is some fine craftmenship their Kajan

210730.jpg

Edited by mbroggi1

I'm using one of mikes pots and have to say it works out well. I've used up to 8 cups at a time in it. Never have a problem with mixing until you get down to that last 1/8 inch of clearance. My problem now is the teflon scratching up from all the salt. Has anyone found a solution for this yet? Its never a problem cleaning the motor paddle. but cleaning the bottom is now getting tougher.

Edited by ChadK

Chad,

You have one of my very first ones, How many gallons do you think you have poured? I use Del-Mart salt and its very fine and smoother than some of the much more course stuff out there. I could see that course salt over time and many RPMs of the paddle effecting the coating. Also dont every leave any leftover plastic and salt in there.

Also you could try PAM Anti stick spray. (Garlic of course) see how that goes.

I'll look into a over the counter teflon spray also, I have a few pots that I made in the intial trial and error process. I'll rough them up and try some Teflon sprays.

I will offer a replacement pot, drilled, tapped with the brass drain installed and shipped for cost. Figure around $40.00

Thanks

Chad,

You have one of my very first ones, How many gallons do you think you have poured? I use Del-Mart salt and its very fine and smoother than some of the much more course stuff out there. I could see that course salt over time and many RPMs of the paddle effecting the coating. Also dont every leave any leftover plastic and salt in there.

Also you could try PAM Anti stick spray. (Garlic of course) see how that goes.

I'll look into a over the counter teflon spray also, I have a few pots that I made in the intial trial and error process. I'll rough them up and try some Teflon sprays.

I will offer a replacement pot, drilled, tapped with the brass drain installed and shipped for cost. Figure around $40.00

Thanks

Oh gosh, many many gallons for sure. I'm using Flour salt for the most part so its VERY fine. It is Mortons 50lb sacks.

I may do the replacement pot at some point. I found one teflon spray on the net I tried and it did not work at all. Left a goo on the bottom of the pot. I probably have left plastic in it before if you think this could be a cause. There are area that are getting worse with every pour. I have tried the Pam also. Cant ever seem to find the garlic though. I think I read somewhere they werent making that one anymore. It does not seem to do me any good.

I just dont want that motor to ever go out. That is the key I tell ya! I usually dont leave it on 100% of the time when pouring. Every other mold or so turn it on for a mold or so.... Just enough to keep things stirred. I've often though about having the sillicone spatulas attached to the mixer some how though. That would be awesome if it could scrape the bottom.

Chad,

Your buying Salt in 50 lb bags?? Ok you have poured a few.

Got to post this thought for all of us. If the salt is wearing them out with just a pass of the paddle and no direct contact, just that wave of plastic I talk about, What kind of life would the pots teflon have if even a high temp silicone was "squegeeing" on it at every revolution? The salt granulaires "AKA Sandpaper" I think would have a much more negative inpact on the life of the pots teflon coating.

Chad,

Your buying Salt in 50 lb bags?? Ok you have poured a few.

Got to post this thought for all of us. If the salt is wearing them out with just a pass of the paddle and no direct contact, just that wave of plastic I talk about, What kind of life would the pots teflon have if even a high temp silicone was "squegeeing" on it at every revolution? The salt granulaires "AKA Sandpaper" I think would have a much more negative inpact on the life of the pots teflon coating.

I bet your exactly right Mike.

I am VERY carefull to make sure my mixer has NEVER scraped the bottom or sides during revolutions. Once you get it set right, you pretty much never have to adjust it again.

Edited by ChadK