Dubs Chops

cookbook version 2.0

Amen. I usually don't go against the grain, but when I received 5 infractions this morning when opening up TU and seen all my pictures that I put up to help other people were gone I have to say I was quite abit disappointed in the way this place is apparently operated. I dont see how this will help your site at all.

Having a color chart with a photo is the best thing I think anyone has come up with on here in a while.

Have we looked at the demographic of user of TU? How many dialup users do we have versus users with high speed internet? Are we talking about 1, 1,000 or 10,000 users. Knowing the audience is necessary to creating rules that beneficial for everyone.

Can we start a cookbook version 3.0 (as a sticky) and outline the rules you'd like us to follow to make sure we are "in conformence with TU rules". Maybe put something like ALL PHOTOS MUST BE IMG LINKS FROM PHOTOBUCKET AND BE 400 PX WIDE and then put the tutorial on how to do photobucket as a link.

Don't we usually put the pics in the gallery if we they do not meet the rules instead of just hacking them out?

I'd prefer to just have the color recipe's in there with no comments myself. Just a searchable list of recipe's.

Let's not stiffle creativity and ingenuity. That is what this whole thing is supposed to be about!

Let's come up with a solution we can agree with instead of just hacking out pics and referring to rules like it is a dictatorship.

Hi guy's, I haven't posted on the forum before, but have been reading and learning. I use dail up and haven't had any trouble with the photos loading, I'm sure it takes a little longer then the newer high speed conections but it's not a problem. I prefer to see a photo with the recipe, without a photo I really don't have any idea what the color looks like. You guys are a wealth of info and it's very nice of you to share some of your recipes. I hope to start poring next month. Thanks

Man now there are rules for having rules. This may be more trouble than its worth. I thought this was a forum to help people. I'm not trying to cause problems and yes I will abide by the rules on TU, but I guess I will have to reconsider some things in the future. It was a good idea Dubs. I guess now the trick is trying to do something like this and work around all the rules. Good luck.

I don't know if this makes sense to everyone but could the admin setup a seperate email address just for the cookbook and people email the.recipe and the pic to the admin and he manipulates the pic and posts it at his convenience that way if everybody only wants the recipe and pic then the admin can strip out what's not needed. I know this takes up someones time but maybe this would make it easier.

I like the gallery Idea ;), won't be any work for anyone and takes about 2 mins or less for a user to input stuff. admins can set it up in 3mins, plus its 100% searchable by color flake etc. people can post under the color if they have questions.

thumbnails are easy to scan to get a brief idea on what color your looking for, click on the thumbnail and you have a med size pic, click on the med size pic and you have a fullsize pic(org).

people wont have to resize there pics the gallery program will do it automatically so everything will be semi uniform.

the best part is it is 100% searchable just by adding key words into the picture options. all can be done by the user.

so lets say someone wants red flake, it shows all pictures with red flake, someone wants black it shows all pictures with black. then they could look at the tumbnails and easliy pic the color they want.

this will also keep a thread like the current color thread we have no from haing comments in it then to the next color and more comments. as all the comments for each color is on that one picture.

modem users won't be bogged down at all by the list as they will just get a thumbnail when the view the gallery like they do now.

when they click on a color then the picture will come up.

right now on the current list you have to read alomost every page to find out what color you want, with it this way you dont nor do you ahve to read through all the replies as they only show up on each picture.

as far as modem users(back east) I am going to bet about 30%-50% of the people on fishing related forums still have 56k or less, more so back east do to lots of people live in places were fast connections are not avail.

Its pretty simple, if you are trying to show a large image, dont embed it into the forum post.... link to it instead.

If the photo is embedded into the post & stretches the site layout, the mods will remove it.

well then you cant tell what the color even looks like before going to another site, I dont guess I understand what the big deal is if it streches the site's layout, Will your monitor explode? B)

the thing is If I do have slow internet its really going to take me a year to go through and click every link opening another window to see all the pretty baits people are pouring.

Why the post here about it? Why not start a new thread so everyone can either know about the contest or know your true intentions which are to end this thread and to carry it on over there. Its pretty easy to just follow Jerrys rules. They are there for a reason and dont affect the thread at all. Just make the pictures a bit smaller. I am a member over there also so I dont mind posting on both sites but this just seems like a slap in the face to avoid following a litle rule.

Um no slap in the face. Iin order to see a good picture of a bait it needs to be a certain size. THey wont allow that here and gave me 4 infractions for posting pictures which was intended to help other people. I will continue to be a member here, but will spend my time where I can better help other people without having 1500 rules I must tip toe around to do it.

Come on Dubs! Twenty rules! Takes five minutes to read them.

600 x 400 pixels is a lot bigger than you may think. Plenty big enough to get a color across. We don't need to see the whole bait either, just the color.

If this thread grows and becomes successful, then at a later stage, all the inbetween, non-contributing posts (like this one) could be stripped out, leaving a very useful and functional tool. So as JD said, lets keep it going.

Here's a perfect example I borrowed from Pitbull, 500 x 239. Nothing wrong with this pic.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/soft-plastics/16391-need-help-another-color.html#post121567 post No2.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Is this supposed to be a cookbook with pictures or a complaint book about a cookbook with pictures. I am going to have colors to put up not complaints. Is their going to be a cookbook 3.0 with just pictures and how to make a color.

Vodkaman I am must likely not a good role model:lol:

If I were to make a web application just for recipes would anyone be interested? I've actually already started this for myself but I could easily put it out somewhere where everyone could use it. It's basically a cooking recipe application that I was converting to be used for soft plastic recipes. It would be searchable and have the ability to add a picture. The problem to me with keeping recipes in a forum is mostly when you get a search match it's somewhere in 10 pages of a thread.

Let me know what you think.

Greg