northsea

Any ideas how I can make one of these?

Hi all, how goes?

I've just discovered this french revolution! ;)

These swim great but wondering if I can somehow make my own spoon heads to save some bucks. :yay:

I reckon I could easily use a small spoon not sure about the connection to the hook or best way to add lead.

Here is a link to take a closer look at the fellas I'm talking about

Sharnbrook Tackle

It is the second last item

Any input on this greatly received.

Chris

Chris,

Very interesting and innovative. You are probably better off buying them direct. The cost for a mold and the spoon and the clip on the back would be very expensive to make. The other thing is if you do go that route, make sure this isn't patented, because if you sell them , you might get sued.

Ok, thanks.

Just to confirm this is for my own personal use I am not interested in selling these on. ;)

I'm quite happy to buy the actual body but would prefer to make my own spoon thingys.

I have made a few molds myself for lead pours but not for jig heads etc. so am quite prepered to have a go at that also.

It's just trying to attach the "spoon" to the hook I am having trouble getting round unless I do go for some type of clip.

Chris

@ northsea

Absolutely cool design and great action , but for a reproduction you'd need tools and skills for working with metal .

You'd need to build an accurate aluminium mold for the blade connected to the rear wireform to fit in and then bonded by the molten lead , that you pour in .

As blades you could probably use willowleaf spinnerblades with one tip cut off ?

Or you cut your own blades from sheet metal with shears , 0,5 mm stainless steel , 1,0 mm brass and 1,5 mm copper cut quite easy , with only 0,5 mm thicker it could get to an nasty effort !

One brief idea :

Cut blade in about the shape of a shovel blade , triangular as shown , but with a slender extention at its rear .

There should be two or three holes in line in that extension to guide the wire form through to somehow sit reasonably rigid .

Take an teardrop shaped inline sinker , extend the center hole at its fatter side maybe halfway down for the blades extension to fit in .

Also cut a slot centered and aligned to the hole for the base of the blade to fit in.

You can lead the wire all way through the hole to bend the attachement hook on its rear and epoxy all together .

Its just a brief idea from afar , it stands and falls with the required size of that leadhead , if too tiny , there won't be enough room for this construction .

Also it is PITA to cut lead with a metal saw , you need to clamb it somehow , and it will squeeze together !

Maybe put a nail or similar into the center hole to keep it open ?

That leadhead , if it should work out that way , would surely get to look very ugly due to all toolmarks on it , but this is the only way , that I can think of on a short term , at low cost and without the need for a mold .

good luck :yay:, diemai

I like the action on that thing.

About 15 years ago I bought a jig very simular to that one. The only difference was the one I had the lip was narrower & the jig itself was lighter & painted. The one I bought came with a curly tail rigged on it. I don't ever remember using it though. I may still have it in my old tackle box that's burried in my basement. If I remember I'll look for it & post a picture if I find it.

BTW, have you ever seen a Scrounger Head?

AMSH.JPG

Edited by Zib
  • Like 1

If you feel like tinkering, you could take an egg sinker, an Indianna blade and a duo-lock snap and come close...I think.:eek:

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Saw a slot thru an egg sinker parallel thru the hole for the line. Ensure that the slot is deep enough to allow 2/3 of a duosnap to extend past the slot. Enlarge the hole in the egg sinker to allow insertion of a duo-snap. Drill another hole in an Indianna blade opposite the end from existing hole. Attach a duo-snap onto the blade. Pass the duo-snap attached to the extra hole in the blade thru the slot cut in the egg sinker and attach the hook of your choice. Close the egg sinker around the Indianna blade with a C-clamp or vise. Attach a o-ring for a line tie and attach a bass assassin or other plastic eel/worm onto the hook /duo-snap assembly.

Most likely you'd have to increase the diameter of the hole thru the egg sinker to allow passage of the duo-snap. I'd only increase the hole only to where it reached the slot cut in the egg sinker.

Don't hold the Indianna blade by hand when you drill an extra hole.:angry: The drill is likely to bind in the blade and pull free. That could result in nasty cuts to your hand/fingers.

Likely there is something better than a duo-snap to attach to the blade and attach a hook.

:twocents:

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

Del_SnapJigHead.jpg

4177_thumb.attach

Edited by turkeylegs1246
spelling errors

@ turkeylegs1246

Great , this is in about what I tried to describe on page 1 of this thread , you put it to practice , but much more simple .

This is the only way to go on a short term without a lead casting mold .

I imagine that eye bending to be finacky , did similar on weight-forward spinners before .

To make it a bit easier , you might push some snugly fitting metal tubing(f. e. leader sleeve)over the two rear wire shafts and sharply kink one shaft forward over the rim of tube , snip it off and wrap the eye onto the second shaft .

Maybe also secure the lip with two crosswise wire pins through sinker and lip , but I guess , that just epoxying all together would be a lot more simple ?

greetz:yay: , diemai

Appreciate you guys sharing your opinion on this. :)

I think I'm going to have a go at making a casting mold for this.

I've made a few 2 piece molds for lead casting out of Cement and plaster. :whistle:

I've been playing about with long shanked hooks (Aberdeen hooks) and feel that one of the best options for me is to attach the hook directly to the spoon by drilling a hole then attach the eye of the hook with wire then pop it in a mold and pour lead around it.

Not sure about best way to go about this though because of the shape of the spoon.

Here's one idea I have. The filled in black represents the cavity of the mold that would fill with lead.

Any thoughts on this? :yay:

Chris

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

Spoon mold.jpg

4189_thumb.attach

@ northsea

Why do you wanna cast in a rigid hook ?

Seems to me , that the loose connection between hookeye and cast-in wire hook(inside of the plastic bait)on the original lure is partly responsible for its outstanding flexible action displayed in that video .

And why do you want to take cupped metal lips instead of plane ones like the original lure obviously has ?

The cupped ones might only be harder to be fit repeatively into your mold , would even be tricky with plane ones .

I have made a similar mold before , to cast a leadweight onto a plane piece of sheet metal , but made it from aluminium , by routing .

Don't have any experience with molds of cement and plaster , but I am not quite sure , whether they'd be accurate enough to shape a slender cavity to accommodate that spoon lip ????

Well , just a few thoughts......:huh:!

good luck :yay:, diemai

• Like 1

Diemai, thank you for your reply!

I think you are absolutely right about keeping the hook flexible.

That's a very good point I overlooked. :whistle:

My diagram was very crude and gives the impression the plane/spoon is very curved but is not really. By the looks of mine they are the same type turkeylegs1246 pictures.

I think I may still have an experiment with a mold to see how I get on. Failing that I may just cut a lead in half and glue the thing on. :lol:

I've been looking at maybe using a clip to attach the plane to the hook instead of using wire. Hopefully this will give me the flexibility I need also.

That do you think of these clips?

50 LINK CLIPS - TWINLINK CLIPS on eBay, also Other Sea Fishing, Sea Fishing, Fishing, Sporting Goods (end time 17-Feb-09 11:43:23 GMT)

Or maybe

THESEUS CARP - QUICK CHANGE UNIVERSAL LINK CLIPS X 20 on eBay, also Carp Fishing, Coarse Fishing, Fishing, Sporting Goods (end time 21-Feb-09 20:30:00 GMT)

Again, appreciate your comments.

So far they have saved me a lot of time and hassle.

Chris

@ northsea

Looks to me like the first ones , the "Twinlink Clips" , would be better suited for your purpose , but it really depends on their size , meaning all components must match somewhat in their sizes .

These clips looks much like the one on the original "Delalande"-lure , though the interior construction is(off course) not visible .

Even the length of the potruding attachement hook , hooksize(shank length) and length of attached plastic lure must match to a certain grade , since otherwise it might get finacky to finally assemble the rig .

At first one must get the hook through the plastic with its eye sticking out of the head of it , so that it can be guided over the leadhead's attachement hook .

After the plastic body must still be long enough to be pulled down again towards the leadhead to sit in proper location , mainly to serve the purpose of securing the hook and eye connection a bit .

So I guess , that you need to plan very well about all components involved .

good luck:yay: , Dieter

It looks like it has been awhile since anyone posted in this thread.

Great discussion. It sounds like you all know what you're doing.

Like the original OP, I fished the Lazy Ike Wigly Worm as a kid and would love for my 10 year old to be able to do the same.

I haven't seen one in many, many years.

Some of the prototypes listed here look very, very close to the original.

I'm new to the board so don't know protocol; but would anyone be interested in selling some of their Wigly Worm creations?

Thanks in advance!

Ok guys .......... I became interested in them a couple of years ago. I bought a few and then I found the hooks and the blades on eBay awhile ago. I was going to make some but I made a larger one for salt water that didn't work because the blade was too small for the weight of the ball. The Lazy Ike has incredible action though. I'll see if I can dig the out and take pics.

The hook had a special open eye that hooked into a hole in the back of the blade. It's similar to the pic'l Eau but not the same. I think it has a straight hook instead of a ring then a hook to ad stability. Remember..... It's a lead ball with a lip.

Edited by rhahn427