AWH

Musky Bucktails & Leaders - What do I need?

I am going to make an attempt at making some of my own bucktails and leaders for muskies. Having never done this before, which tools are going to be necesary to do this? Keeping in mind that the wire for musky tackle will be heavy duty wire?

Thanks,

AWH

A Boggs Tacklemaker is a good tool for bending heavy wires to make bucktails, and they offer 4 diff heads to use with different wire diameters. It will do leaders too. I bought some ss from a local source and tried making my own. I could twist it with my own hands. Small 'skis and pike could be caught with these, but I wasn't confident when taking them to Canada last Sept. So I searched and found www.leaadertec.com He is in the UK but only charges $4 to ship. I bought dbl barrel sleeves, swivels rated at 140lb or so plus a nylon covered ,pliable, multi-stranded wire that I have compleat faith in. I learned how to crimp correctly. Before that I had little faith in that method of making leaders. Good luck.

I do use the Boggs bender.. I also use 3 other benders but this bait was made with the boggs bender along with one other bender I use to bend the tail of the bait so I don't always add a split ring to the treble hook

Oh one other thing.. this bait is 8" long and the skirt is black & blue bucktail and flash-a-bou. it has a keel weighted coil and brass hardware

good luck with your project

Littlebear

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

spin56.jpg

371_thumb.attach

I typed that leadertec wrong! Just one 'e'. www.leadertec.com Also, the Boggs unit is available in a larger size. They have cut the unit apart so you can make larger lures. You just bolt it to the worktable/countertop. For awhile, I emailed Boggs about questions of their tacklemaker. They have a website. I had it saved for awhile but I tossed it. Someone may tell what it is. They even have a lil' movie of the unit being used. With the larger unit you could make 'longer' bucktails w/o having the wire outside the arms of it. A small one would have your wire spinning ouside the arms and this can become frustrating. I don't speak from experience, just from conversations with Boggs.

One thing I want to add here if your thinking of cutting the Boggs bender in half.. I have done it..unless you can make a new or add an extention to the bending arm this idea is fruitless..I took a piece of drill rod and tapped it for the cut away section.. this does help on large baits.. this way a 10" inline bucktail will bend the same as a 5" one.. I still use a hand made tail bender for finishing baits that have no split ring on them..

you can do it without one but it keeps the main wire straight and it makes my baits start and run true right out of the package..

Littlebear