GonefishingAZ

Sealing Plaster Molds?

I use epoxy thinned with alcohol. This will give a much tougher and glassy finish.

I apply it with a art brush from the dollar store. As a matter of fact, that's also where I get the epoxy.

The elmer's glue is much faster but it doesn't give the glassy finish that the epoxy will give you and it isn't a tough.

www.novalures.com

• Like 1

I sealed mine with a high gloss polyurathane laquer..

After the POP completely cures, I sand it with really fine sand paper and apply 10-12 thins coats of the poly. Takes about a week to get them done, but the baits come out with a very high gloss finish. It withstands the heat very well. After 200-300 pours you need to apply another thin coat and your back in business..

This could turn into one of thoes clear coat battles on the hardbait side.:eek:

Not from me.

I'm simply stating that I prefer what I prefer for the reasons I stated. Everyone has their own preferances and that is fine.

If what a person is using is fine for them; then that's great.:yay:

This is just part of the information curve that TU is noted and respected for.

www.novalures.com

• Like 1

I added some yellow carpenter's glue to my last pop mold mix, and the pop came out harder.  Then I sealed it with one coat of thinned D2T, and it pours great.  I do have to shoot the mold with spray PAM before each pour, or the senkos will be really hard to remove from the cavities.

Two coats of D2T would probably make the baits easier to remove, but I didn't want to lose any detail.

Elmers wood glue mixed 50/50 with water makes a fine sealer, epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol is even better

But the plaster will absorb alot of epoxy, usually calling for a 2nd or even 3rd coat...... For my larger molds, i seal the whole thing with the wood glue mix, then go back over the cavities with thinned epoxy....... So far so good

I picked up a few injection molds last week they seem to be made of a synthetic stone  but they produce a dull bait. What do you guys thinking about using some of the methods listed above to seal it? These molds were very cheap and work great. If i could get a shine out of them it would be awesome.

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

post-49503-0-88038300-1465299965_thumb.jpg

What do you mean by dust them up?... Got them from bait mold guy is out of the Ukraine found him on ebay. He has a bunch of styles and is dirt cheap i gave $12 a piece for that mold. Took like a month to get to the states though.

Alumidust colored powder comes in lots of colors. Brush it on and melt it in.

Edited by Chuck Young

I do mine with Envirotex Lite. After thorough mixing, I cut it 50/50 with 90% Rub Alcohol. I covered the entire top of the mold, in the cavities and the top flat portion. This helps strengthen the mold also. It would normally take 12 hours for this to dry but I put in the oven at 200°for 4 hours and it was ready for the next coat. Most of this first coat soaks in. The second coat, I do the same way.On this second coat make sure you go back and run your brush in the low lying areas every 10 minutes for the first hour to make sure it is not puddling or taking away from any detail from the mold. Then bake the same way. Do a 3rd coat if necessary. Hope this helps. Also I used Durhams Water Putty not PoP.

• Like 1