george12182

shawn collins mold pricing ? and patent infringement ?

Does anyone know roughly what shawn collins charges for a custom mold? I emailed him a week ago but haven't gotten a response back. From some older posts, it seems like he is hard to get in touch with him sometimes. I know he previoulsy quoted me 125 for molds he already has designed. But I'm wondering if its more if he has to design it?

Also, will custom mold makers copy an existing jig/lure if there is a patent on it. I don't plan on selling the jigs, they are just going to be for personal use.

The SC custom molds I ordered late last year ran about $160 each for modified versions of my existing design.

Last time I browsed the Lunker City website it stated "patent pending" on the "Lunker Grip" collar - not sure if its final yet. Unless you start selling replica knock-offs of LC designs I don't think they'll come after you. There are lots of mfg. with similar multi-ridge collar designs, perhaps you can design your own different from LC?

My experience so far in dealing with Shawn Collins. I paid him for two molds with paypal on FEB 27 /09. Told me they would be shipped on March 15th. I have still not gotten them. He has not returned two of my emails, and when I called the phone number from his website. It Said that his voice mail is full so I can not leave a message about items I ordered. I payed him almost $300.00 for the molds. If I do not hear from him soon my next option will be to contact paypal to see IF I can get my money back.

I do not know if any other people have had problems with their orders , but I thought I would let you know about mine so that you can decide for yourself to order from him or not. I will update everyone and let them know if and when my issue get resolved.

"2fishon", I don't know why SC's delivery estimates are always off, I'm a several times return customer and still have to wait at least 6 months despite a 3 week estimate. Comes with the territory - if you want the best custom molds in the world you play by his rules - pay in advance and wait your turn. Out of respect for his genius I just wait quietly and not add to his stress level.

When I was a serious surfer long ago my boards were made by a similar genius named Sparky. He'd require payment in advance and his delivery time was...whenever. After a full years wait I got POd, banged on his door, & got in his face. Well, I got the board in a week but it was a piece of sh**. I chose thereafter to get boards elsewhere, but they were never as good as my Sparkys.

I understand what you are saying I don't have a problem waiting a couple months. Why not tell your customer that up front, and save yourself all the stress. Bad customer service is bad customer service. I am not the get in your face type of person, but why not just send an email to say it's taking longer than expected. He sure got back to me with the price quick. I have never ordered form him so thanks for the info. I guess I will wait it out and see what happens.

Its to bad that we have to go through this every week. Does anybody ever read the rules on this site? Here is rule #16 TU is NOT an Arbitration Venue If you received bad or slow service from any company or conversely had a bad experience with a customer, TU is NOT the place to air out your bad laundry. If you have an issue with another member stemming from a trade or deal made through the TU classifieds system, then privately contact a mod or admin to investigate the issue. All other issues will NOT be permitted.

The first TU moderator that comes along is going to read this thread, it will get deleted and george12182 question will go unanswered. Come on. Lets get it right.

I've ordered many molds from Shawn. Like the above post said; pay your money and wait in line, he will come through. I think price depends on the mold, but most run about $165. His work is tight dude. You won't find a better mold anywhere.

If your going to play this game just expect molds to take anywhere from 2-6 months for delivery regardless of which company you choose.. Sometimes they have them in stock and you get them in a few days, but that is the exception.

MT

This discussion pops up every single week, better that people know about it before they plunk their hard earned dollars down!!!!!!! If it was only a one time thing I could see a Mod deleting it but this crap has been going on with this company for a couple years straight and not just on TU. I believe that's why the Mods leave it.

Fatman

I just got my new print catalouge from Hagens and looking inside the back page they're getting into the custom molding business. They say to contact them for info.

Fatman

My understanding of the Hagens add was that it is for soft baits only, not for lead heads like Me. :D

I could be wrong though.