george12182

problem attaching skirts

I fish alot of cabin creek spider grubs. I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with them so here's a pic.

spdrprt.jpg

They're packaged with 10 skirts and 10 grubs. The also sell their own special jig heads with double barbs to keep them grub from sliding down the hook but I hate the hooks they have on them. I'd tried some other double barb heads but they don't hold them on has good. Anyway, I thought why not just melt the skirt and grub together. The problem is I can't get them to stick together good. I tried a heat gun and melting them together. I tried heating up a knife to melt the plastic then putting together. I thought maybe it was the plastic, but then I cut a senko in half and tried to melt it back together and not much luck. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I spend all my time in the wire bait section so I'm not as familiar with all this plastic stuff as you guys are. I know you guys attach skirts to make ika's though. So whats the trick. I searched but not much luck. I know this has to had been covered in a previous post. Oh, and I also tried pro's soft bait glue. This works ok. Problem is its 10 bucks a bottle and the grubs only two inches and you gotta be careful not to get any of the skirt strands stuck together. How's that mend it stuff work?

Ok, one more question. Why do you think they put the skirts and grubs in the pack unattached. I really don't think it helps the action or anything. I was thinking maybe its just easier for them to pour them seperate and It's too time/money consuming to attatch them themselves? What do you think?

After trying some other searches, I think I figured it out. The first time I tried the knife, I was just using it to heat one of the pieces and sticking it on the other. After reading that youre supposed to put it between the knife and skirt, then slide the knife out it works much better, not perfect but better. I think the problem lies in that there isn't a whole lot of surface are since this jig is alot smaller than your normal size spider grub. I've read some posts that people are dipping them in clear plastic after they attach them by glue or melting. How much does this help. As I don't have any plastic, I'd have to order some just to try it.

To try it out can I melt some of my rubber twisters I don't use in the microwave and just dip it in the melted lures. I really just want to see how much better it holds, not worried about the color on the test run. If it works I'd buy some clear to do this. Also, how much is this gonna smell?

Ok, one more question. Why do you think they put the skirts and grubs in the pack unattached. I really don't think it helps the action or anything. I was thinking maybe its just easier for them to pour them seperate and It's too time/money consuming to attatch them themselves? What do you think?
Found Lots of post on this question. No need for anyone to answer it.

Get a bottle of Mend-It. Its not that expensive and it will last you for years. It will NOT stick to anything except soft plastics, and it will not burn you if you slip and touch your finger like soldering irons will.

Just put a drop on the grub and a drip on the skirt, thats all it takes.