Artificial All The Way

Squid skit material

I am looking to make some Squid skirts to use as teasers while Fluke fishing. The material of the ones I buy is very stiff and kind of hard. Nothing like the soft plastics I pour with. I use 500 for all my big saltwater baits and it is no where near the hardness of the squid skirts.

Anyone know what this material is?

Thanks

Jay

Just did a quick search and heres a link to some. Many places sell them. They are injected . Same as soft plastic but harder. Some have a bead in the head for the line to slide on and give color glow.

Squid Skirts

States "Sea Striker squid skirts are made of soft vinyl".

Can you melt and use vinyl as we do soft platics?

Edited by Artificial All The Way

Sorry to sound dumb,but do the fish hit the teaser,or a lure trailing after it?You may try a bunch more hardner in the 500 plastic,and double dip the head at a sharp angle.You will need to watch your temp while melting in the microwave.It gets amber(too hot) pretty quick.I like the head of my larger tubes to be a harder plastic than the tail filements.More action.

I run a line through the teaser and add a hook. Then tip the hook with fish strips. Fluke suck the entire thing down. I use this on a 3 way with a 2-11 oz jig tipped with more strips. The teaser can slide freely on the line. Caught 22 Fluke as the sun set last night using my first squid tubes Thanks to you Ron. Now if our dam limit size was under 19.5

Years ago the first plastic we got a hold of was Vinyl ... came as a liquid as platisol and cooked in the mold to cure it out .. tossed the Alum molds into water to cool it.

(I used a gas stove ... started it on the surface but found that after a certain point that if I stuck it in the oven at 350 I got a better product)

It is not reusable !!!!!!!!!

Some of the older worms and some grubs were made with this and you could do all kinds of color work with it. Came in different degrees of hardness .. Do not know where you can get it now (have not searched for it) ... the last I remember seeing (never bought any from them) was from Herters.

My :twocents: Worth

JSC

:)

It's time to go outside the Box! Make a Box using 1/8" high material of any sort, balsa is fine. Mix Walmart silicone with water and a latex colorant (ask the nice man at the paint counter for some in the colors you want)

Squeeze some Silicone out on a flat surface, add colorant until you get the desired shade, add a few drops of water, fill the box, and place a Flat, smooth object over it, "squishing it down as I do with the Squish Molds, and in 5 minutes you'll have your skirt material which will be a lot more durable than any Plastisol.:twocents:

Thanks JSC. Looks like I am going to keep playing with hardeners. Not a material I can easily work with.

Thanks Husky. I have tested using silicones. Not the texture I want and much harder to work with than soft plastics. I need to dip rods in the material to make these tubes. Not a mold. There is tube molds out there but I

Ran home to make several quick half cups of diff hardness using LC 500 plus diff amounts of LC hardener. Man I'm glad vinyl wasn't an option. The 500 with hardner is better than the vinyl ones IMO. Waaaayyy more action for sure even with the hardened plastic. I started with 1 tsp to a half cup of 500 and up from there to 50 50 in seven diff half cup batches.

I made 2 6" Squid teaser lures from each of the 7 batches. I start in my pool first but in the water and with fish is where all my lures go to test. If they don't cut it on the proving grounds I don't need them in my boxes. So me and one of my sons jumped in the boat and tried to get on some Fluke before dark. We caught several small fluke (13-18") and a crap load of Sea Robbins up to 5lbs. Big suckers. The lures made from the 2 table spoons to half cup are what I will tweak a little more. But for now it looks and feels great. Nice and strong and still has great action.

The teaser were on 3 ways in 22' of water with only a 2oz weight and not tipped with anything at all. Normally I would tip them with large blue fish strips to get big fluke. But since I was testing the lures and not the fishing grounds. The lure was used naked no oils or anything else just jigging and they still caught fish. To me this means they work. Now to play with size, shapes, and colors to see what produces most and largest fish.

Thanks for all the help guys.