WVEric

Whats the secret on powder painting spinnerbait heads??

WVEric,

First of all I know you're new to this forum and to Tackle Underground. But here are some pointers about etiquette. #1 There are lot of guys in this forum that are willing to help you. #2 Many times newbies will get a response from long time members to " Use the search function". I don't see that in this forum that often as myself and all the other guys here are more than happy to help you. On the flip side, you've posted two threads already, and everyone here saved you six month's of reading threads and posts, and yet I don't see a "Thank You" from you to any of the responses you got from our members here. I don't want to come across as a jerk, but a little gratitude goes a long way.................Now to answer your question. There are several ways you can powder paint spinnerbait heads. #1 You can dip them in a fluid bed. Heat only the lead part of the spinnerbait and dip it in a fluid bed. You will get very even good coverage. The powder paint that you seee on the hook portion will wipe off with a rag. #2 Another thing you can try is get yourself a large bowl that your spinnerbait body will fit in and fill it with powder paint. Once you heat the head of the spinnerbait you can swish it through the powder like you do your jigs. The only thing with the 2 methods above is you will need quite a bit of paint to fill the fluid bed and or the bowl. If you are doing multi-colors like I do and some others on this site, then you will have to do it with the paint brush method. There are other ways and I'm sure others will chime in and help you..........Let us know how it comes out, and when your're done post some pics in the gallery..................Good Luck

Edited by cadman

WVEric,

Cadman always has the good dope, but I always look for the easier route. It may not be the most econamical, but it is easier. I use a spray gun much like an air brush. All the big dogs have them (Barlow's, Jann's etc.) You will need an air supply (compressor) and something to spray into (paint booth) this is where the econamical part goes out the window. You can also get some really cool blending effects this way. Hope this helps.

WVEric

I've painted a few spinner baits - I've tryed the method Cadman mentions - a paint brush - where you load paint on to the brush - then tap the brush w/ your finger to drop the paint on to the head (this is how you do it - right Cadman?)...

I either don't have the technique right, or am to heavy w/ the finger tap - but I don't get a coverage I am happy with....

What I've found I can do - with a artists paint brush - is paint the head somewhat like using liquid paint....

Heat the head (I use a heat gun on low - about 750F), then w/ a paint loaded paint brush, lightly skim the bristles of the brush over the head. You don't want to apply pressure like you would w/ liquid paint - as then the paint will melt and glue the bristles to the head. The amount of pressure I am referring to is just enough to draw the paint off the brush and on to the head.

Doing it this way, I can get the paint where I want it. So far, I've done up to three colors this way....

If I get to heavy w/ the pressure, and the paint does melt on the brush - pull it away quick, and run my fingers thru the bristles to break up the melted paint / strings...

I'm not great artist - not like some of the guys here - but we're talking about paint on a lure that is moving thru water of various levels of murk - along w/ the splashing and disturbance of the blades - I don't think the fish can spot the differance...

UG

For single colors I put the powder into a wide shallow bowl and heat the head up and swish it through the paint but for multiple colors I too use a spray gun and it works well and I have an economical solution for a spray booth. Take a large cardboard box like the type that work boots come in which is what I use, flip the box open so that the top of the box is sitting veritical and the bottom of the box is flat on your work bench, then you take a plastic grocery bag and tape it to the inside of the top part of the box, do this so that the bag is open by taping just the side of the bag thats next to the box. Now you have a make shift spray booth and when you spray the excess powder hits the back of the box and falls into the plastic bag so you cna recycle the lost powder.