BBK

How to melt lead?

What would you guys suggest for someone that doesnt want to spend the money to get a lead melting pot? I will be pouring 1/8 and 1/4oz jig heads for walleye fishing with a do-it mold. I was thinking about using a big spoon and a torch, would this work or does anyone have a better suggestion?

BBK,

To me I think this would be dangerous. If you don't want to spend the money to pour, then buy the jigs and paint them yourself. Another safer solution is to buy a cast iron pot and a ladle and then use the ladle to pour the lead in. You can use the torch to heat the cast iron pot. I personally feel that ladle pouring is not the best to pour jigs because it cools too fast. JMO

650 degree liquid metal giving off poisonous fumes in a spoon over a torch is a REALLY bad idea ........... the stuff is dangerous if not done right .......... if you don't want to buy a melting pot etc the just buy the raw jigs ....... it's cheaper unless your doing hundresd of jigs

I agree with what everyone else said, it very dangerous and remember, the spoon is metal and a great conductor of heat so I don't think you'll even get the lead to melt before the spoon becomes too hot to handle. Pouring lead is just like any other tackle making endeavor, it's going to cost you money to start but if you buy good equipment it'll be that much more enjoyable. I use a Lee melter and pour using a ladle, I've become quite good at it over the years but it does take time to get a feel for it so if you get yourself a bottom pouring melter that would be best.

Good gravy! Molten lead does not give off lead vapor until heated WAY hotter than anyone is going to heat it to pour lures.

It is a myth that molten lead gives off poisonous fumes at normal casting temps. Let's please not endlessly repeat the old wives-tales and myths we've heard at the campfire. The main vector of lead poisoning is ingestion of particulates and dust. Basic cleanliness and hygene, and common sense, will prevent that. Please read up on the basics of lead-handling safety in the sticky posts at the top of this page.

Now, as far as cheaply melting lead, an old Coleman camp stove works very well, and is very cost efficient. A 1qt cast-iron (not aluminum) thriftstore pot will do very well for a melting pot. Find one at at garage sale, and you're set.

Good luck, and be safe!

• Like 1

"sagacious" is of course correct about the lead vapor issue, but as one with a medically tested elevated lead level, I would caution that the "particulates and dust" as a cause of lead poisoning may be invisible. If you can smell melt fumes, particularly during fluxing, then your ventilation or respiratory filtration system possibly needs improvement.

Good advice as always, Hawnjigs. Lead oxide dust can become airborne, and fluxing smoke must surely contain some particulate lead and oxides.

Forewarned is forearmed. Everyone should be aware of the primary and practical concerns with handling lead, and be sure read up on lead-handling safety if you're not checked-out 100% on it.