mtn lures

Keeping Powder Paint Out Of Base Holes

Looking for some advice or let me know I am on the right track. I have been making various jigs and spinner baits for a while. I used vinal paint but it was too time consuming and took some advice to get a fluid bed and switch to powder paint. I am looking for a way to keep the base holes clear of paint. I researched some old posts and someone was using 1/8 dial and putting it in the hole after heating the jighead the swishing it in the powder. I am thinking of giving this a shot.I was using the base pins for this and it was more trouble than what is was worth. The pin would get hot due to the heat transfer causing the pins to get painted. I tried it without anything in the hole and had some trouble with chipping cleaning it out. I am a novice with this set up and am looking for some experienced advice. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I have been using a heat gun to heat my jigs. Thanks

Mtn lures, you can a few things, the base hole pins are pretty cheap and are sold in 50 count bags, if you get a bag you can use 10 base hole pins, you dip the jig in the paint and remove the pin and set it aside, and paint the next jig, by the time you finish with 10 they will be cool enough to put in another bait. I use 1/8" dowel rod, I have it cut in 1 inch pieces and use that, it works really well since the heat doesn't transfer to the dowel, one word of advice if you use the dowel rod, make sure you use pliers and pull the dowel out once it's painted, if you let the jig cool it could cause the paint around the hole to chip.

Mtn lures, you can a few things, the base hole pins are pretty cheap and are sold in 50 count bags, if you get a bag you can use 10 base hole pins, you dip the jig in the paint and remove the pin and set it aside, and paint the next jig, by the time you finish with 10 they will be cool enough to put in another bait. I use 1/8" dowel rod, I have it cut in 1 inch pieces and use that, it works really well since the heat doesn't transfer to the dowel, one word of advice if you use the dowel rod, make sure you use pliers and pull the dowel out once it's painted, if you let the jig cool it could cause the paint around the hole to chip.

Small Jaw, Thanks for the advice. It is easy to forget the little things sometimes. They can fly under the radar on you. I will try the dowel. I bought several feet today and I should be able to start painting tomorrow. I have several hundred waiting on me. Learning new tricks can take some trial and error. Thanks again for the advice.

I use 2 curved hemostats when powder painting my walleye jigs. I use 1 to heat the jig over the heat gun then use the other to clamp onto the eye of the hook & dip it in my fluid bed.

The dial rods fixed my issue. I appreciate all the other advice. Good ideas. Thanks

I know you solved your problem, but what I was going to do (had to promise the wife I wouldn't pour lead) was use taped high heat silicone plugs. You can do a google search, but this is an example...

http://www.siliconeplugs.com/productList.asp?Type=2

I also think it's neat that some of these places offer powder coating tape, I thought that would be cool for striping, firetiger masks, etc.

Clemmy

Thats pretty neat Clemmy but the dowel rod is so much cheaper and does a good job plus you can use them over and over again so all you need is one length of dowel to do thousands of jigs for 5 bucks compared to 50, I know it's only like 28 bucks but you need to have a minumum order of 50 dollars which is kind of high just to keep paint out of base holes.

I know you solved your problem, but what I was going to do (had to promise the wife I wouldn't pour lead) was use taped high heat silicone plugs. You can do a google search, but this is an example...

http://www.siliconep...List.asp?Type=2

I also think it's neat that some of these places offer powder coating tape, I thought that would be cool for striping, firetiger masks, etc.

Clemmy

Clemmy, I did not know those even existed. I checked them out. Seem like a pretty good product.

Clemmy, I did not know those even existed. I checked them out. Seem like a pretty good product.

Just do a google search, many companies carry them, I'm sure you could find one without a minimum order. The other advantage is that if you can reuse them, and get the old powdercoat off by bending (just like those silicone muffin pans...

I'm interested in those plugs now but I can't find the important info, like if they are reuseable, and if they are, how long or how many times can they be reused? If anyone gets some of those I think we'd all be interested in how they work, a little pricy like I said but it could end up being a 1 time investment if they last a long time. Clemmy, where did you see the silicone masking, I can't find any that would withstand high heat?

I use silicone glass cloth tape that has a max temp of 500°, it does not work well for masking to get lines and special cutouts when you are powder painting jigs or blades, the heat from a torch or a heat gun is too intense. I have used it for years for covering barrel swivels on pony head jigs, and for one if you use a torch you will ignite the tape. If you use a heat gun or any heat source, the tape will un-adhere as soon as the jig or blade gets hot enough to try to apply the powder to it. I work with powder paints and commercial powder painted panels. The tape works really well when you have an electrostatic system, as the item is charged with a current it draws the powder to the panel. We then bake the panels with the tape on. Less heat for longer duration of time, temperature does not exceed 325°. As far as jigs and blades go I have tried many things, and anything that is self adhesive does not fare well when heat from a torch or hot heat gun is applied to it. Unless you have something different I am very interested in hearing your results.