bassfhermn

Hagen's Wire Bender

Ok guys I am new to working with wire and I am trying to get a shape with a bender, and I am going to buy a hagen's wire bender. I know that it will do everything that I need but, will it also make a lure wire harness I am trying to get a loop and a braid out of the wire for about 1 inch. A shape like thisCR03.JPG I just want a loop and a braid that is all if the hagens bender will not do this which bender will...... thanks guys

Ok guys I am new to working with wire and I am trying to get a shape with a bender, and I am going to buy a hagen's wire bender. I know that it will do everything that I need but, will it also make a lure wire harness I am trying to get a loop and a braid out of the wire for about 1 inch. A shape like thisCR03.JPG I just want a loop and a braid that is all if the hagens bender will not do this which bender will...... thanks guys

I own a Hagen's Wire Former, for the money, I don't think there is a better product out there. It does every thing I need it to do, but I have never attempted making/bending any thing like you have pictured here. I think that if you go to the Hagen's web site they have a video posted showing what you can do with their products.

If you are handy with tools, maybe you could make some kind of adapter or attachment for it that would allow you to make these. I made a piece for mine which allows me to easily make barrel twist eyes for my crankbaits.

Looking at you pic again, I believe I could make the braided/twisted part of of you rig with it, but the two coils would require a lot of thought.

Hagen's also makes a Coil bender that would probably work for doing this. Hagen's has always been very helpful when I have contacted them with a question. You might send them a email with this pic attached and ask if their tools will make this rig. Sorry, I wasn't much help but good luck with your quest.

John

I own a Hagen's Wire Former, for the money, I don't think there is a better product out there. It does every thing I need it to do, but I have never attempted making/bending any thing like you have pictured here. I think that if you go to the Hagen's web site they have a video posted showing what you can do with their products.

If you are handy with tools, maybe you could make some kind of adapter or attachment for it that would allow you to make these. I made a piece for mine which allows me to easily make barrel twist eyes for my crankbaits.

Looking at you pic again, I believe I could make the braided/twisted part of of you rig with it, but the two coils would require a lot of thought.

Hagen's also makes a Coil bender that would probably work for doing this. Hagen's has always been very helpful when I have contacted them with a question. You might send them a email with this pic attached and ask if their tools will make this rig. Sorry, I wasn't much help but good luck with your quest.

John

thanks that is what I what to do to I just want to make a harness for a little lure I am working on I want a wire harnes with a loop for a line tie in the front and a loop in the middle (which is a braid and a loop that drops down about a inch) and a loop and the back just like a cranks bait...thanks

Jann's Netcraft in Ohio has a "Tack-L-Tool" shown on page 42 of their 2009 Catalog which should do what you want. Make sure you get the book with it. As they say in the catalog "the book is worth the price of the kit alone". Good luck. Lots of trial & error with any lure making.

Happy new year.

Tony

Bassfhermn, I think Tony may be right. I bought one of those Tack-L-Tool benders many years ago. it was great for making in-line spinners. I think I still have it somewhere with the book. I will look for it tomorrow. It isn't very expensive either. If I can find it, I will let you know whether it willl make your rig or not. The reason I stopped using it was that I started working with heavier wire than it would handle, also it was not designed to form wire frames for spinnerbaits and buzz baits which I also enjoy making. Not trying to sway you away from the Hagens, Its a wonderful tool but not sure it is what you are needing.

John

Just saw this at Barlows They show it making a spreader rig. It might be what you need.

http://www.poulsencascadetackle.com/pages/twis_tech_movie_flash.html

As Tony says, Happy New Year and good luck. This is a very addictive hobby.

John

Well i just order a hagens and a twist tech I am hoping that one of them will make the braid I did find a different tool to make the loop and the braid take alook at thisx2_9a81acf878f6b28528d4b1e10766ec46.jpg?1181580675t80_x1_9a81acf878f6b28528d4b1e10766ec46.jpg?1181580675

Just saw this at Barlows They show it making a spreader rig. It might be what you need.

http://www.poulsencascadetackle.com/pages/twis_tech_movie_flash.html

As Tony says, Happy New Year and good luck. This is a very addictive hobby.

John

which one is that? I need to do the spreader/harness with .035 wire a least

Bass

The Netcraft tool will make the parts you're looking for. It takes a few practice ones to get it right but after that it's a piece of cake and you can turn them out while watching the tube!!! You will need a really good pair of wire clippers for snipping them off.

Fatman

First time posting, hope this helps. I make these with a pair of safety pliers and a tool called a coil gizmo. Pliers available through Harbor Freight, Coil gizmo through most craft stores, used for making jewelery. Takes a little trial and error to figure out the length of wire to start with. I coil both ends first then place the coils close to the part of the wire you want to twist and then place the loop you make over a nail in a vise and twist until you have the amount of twist you require. Have twisted wire up to .041 with this method. Not good at describing how to do things so hope this makes sense.

John

jblaze is correct the Hagen's is the best for the money. And is the most useful. To add to this comment the first thing I would bend would be the two coils. Bent them just like you would a spinner but the long wire would be the tag end, Twist the loop about 12 to 15 times. Next cut off the eye of the loop and pull out the center wire witch would have been to hold the beads if you were making the spinner. You now have a set of coils on both ends of the wire. Hold them with a pair of pliers in the position you will want them. Bent the center over the twister of the Hagen and start spinning until you get the the braided/twisted look you want. On the leader part it looks like they just used crimps (used to make wire leaders) to position the hangers.

As a review on the twist-tech I have a sickness for wire so I just had to try it. The number one thing that stood out was that the two studs to start the loops were stationary so when you bent the loop the main wire did not pull into it making the eye more accurate. Bending wire forms for your do it molds with a wire bent to measure the constant loops made them easy to make. I like the way the loops are formed. The negative thing about it is the sizes of wire you can use .025 - .037. When I bent the .026 wire there was still a little tag end that need to be removed. I have owned all of the wire benders the little blue bender is good for wire forms because I don't fill bad about drilling holes all over it. The Hagen's still the best all around usefulness. The boggs was given away to a starter, never liked that one a pain to use sticking my self with hooks every time I get in a hurry. The Little tackle tool got parked pretty quick only because I had good tools when I got them but the book is worth the price think of it like you get a free tool with the book.

As a review on the twist-tech I have a sickness for wire so I just had to try it. The number one thing that stood out was that the two studs to start the loops were stationary so when you bent the loop the main wire did not pull into it making the eye more accurate. Bending wire forms for your do it molds with a wire bent to measure the constant loops made them easy to make. I like the way the loops are formed. The negative thing about it is the sizes of wire you can use .025 - .037. When I bent the .026 wire there was still a little tag end that need to be removed. I have owned all of the wire benders the little blue bender is good for wire forms because I don't fill bad about drilling holes all over it. The Hagen's still the best all around usefulness. The boggs was given away to a starter, never liked that one a pain to use sticking my self with hooks every time I get in a hurry. The Little tackle tool got parked pretty quick only because I had good tools when I got them but the book is worth the price think of it like you get a free tool with the book.

Look up safety wire pliers they will do the long twist after you make the two coils. The jaws clamp and the handle has a drill type mechanism that spins the pliers when you pull it out.