bassfhermn

Production Pouring

How many production pourers use a micowave, and how many use a presto pot. I am trying to use a presto pot with hard plastic and it seems to be pouring slow and not filling out the molds. The microwave just seems to produce more quality baits for the customers.

Can you post some information on your pot? Is it the newer smaller model rated at 1200 watts? what type of valve and plumbing are you using? What temps are you getting? One of my friends is pouring drums of plastic with his Presto.

A picture of the bottom and valve if you could.

I'm using a 3/8 brass nipple to a 3/8 ball valve to a 3/8 to 1/4 barb fitting. Yes it is a smaller pot I have also used some muffler tape around the pot and the valve. To try to insulate it and protect my hands.

Can you post some information on your pot? Is it the newer smaller model rated at 1200 watts? what type of valve and plumbing are you using? What temps are you getting? One of my friends is pouring drums of plastic with his Presto.

A picture of the bottom and valve if you could.

I'm using a 3/8 brass nipple to a 3/8 ball valve to a 3/8 to 1/4 barb fitting. Yes it is a smaller pot I have also used some muffler tape around the pot and the valve. To try to insulate it and protect my hands.

Is the brass nipple drilled and tapped right next to the heating element? picture ?

I have had the opposite results. The microwave does not give a consistent bait for me and it by far can not keep up with my production or quality. I average about 8 gallons of plastic a week and the microwave will not let me do that. I also know that everything will be mixed and suspended like it is suposed to, I know the temp. will be exact every time, I just have better control over my product. However, if you are pouring for yourself or do not have a high production output than the pot may not be justifiable as it does take more plastic to operate.

The brass nipple is right up agaisnt the element slop. I also cut the nipple down along with the barbed fitting to reduce the heat loss. and covered it with muffler tape also. I am using calhouns 2901 hard/saltwater plastic, with a dial setting at 400 degrees and I cannot get a flow like I can with the freshwater calhouns or the medium plastic. The calhoun medium pours great at love the pot. but this is begining to bug me. I will try to get a picture tonight.

Is the brass nipple drilled and tapped right next to the heating element? picture ?

I have a pot and use the microwave as well. I only use my pot when I have a high volume run to do (ie 100's of frogs or sticks), otherwise I do not use it.

Most of my requests are for custom colors/pours so the microwave is perfect for a few bags of a custom color or packs of a custom swim bait.

The pot works great if you have the molds to support it. Tough to run a pot of plastic with limited cavities as it will take just as long as doing it in the mic with all the de-molding.

Jim

i have used a microwave for 11 years. i also have two small pots, havent used them in years. just bought a huge pot last year, never tried it. only thing that REALLY sucks right now is the size of the microwave. you can def. heat plastic quicker in the microwave, especially if its a larger wattage. then you could always dump it into your heated pot if thats easier for you to pour. i think hands down eventually i will go all injection with air. i know of one manufacturer who ended up selling the business, and he had a big air powered injected system, and still couldnt keep up with demand. thats the only way you ever could be really big, is to have a couple injection machines running. you just cant pour no matter how fast as quick as a injection machine will push out baits.