mainbutter

Baby E Style Swimbaits Weighting Q

I just got my bob's baby e style swimbait mold delivered today, and I was just doing some thinking..

These things must be buoyant, even with an aluminum insert and a treble hook attached, with how chunky they are and how much plastic they use.

Does anyone here who pours these or similar molds weight theirs somehow? What do you use? How much weight do you find necessary?

Thanks for any tips :D

I just got my bob's baby e style swimbait mold delivered today, and I was just doing some thinking..

These things must be buoyant, even with an aluminum insert and a treble hook attached, with how chunky they are and how much plastic they use.

Does anyone here who pours these or similar molds weight theirs somehow? What do you use? How much weight do you find necessary?

After making my first and testing it with a 2/0 mustad treble, it does in fact sink, but pretty slowly. I think I'd have a hard time working it deep but we'll see once open water season rolls around come may.

I've poured and weighted some baby E type baits. Immediately after pouring the cavity drop in an egg sinker. It will sink to the bottom but won't be sticking out of the bait because the plastic on the bottom will have begun to harden. If you use lead weights the will turn white over time unless you coat them with something. I make a weighted baby E and mold in a 4/0 frog hook....have got lots of big bites on that thing and it will come through weeds and brush surprisingly well. :twocents: Good luck.

I've poured and weighted some baby E type baits. Immediately after pouring the cavity drop in an egg sinker. It will sink to the bottom but won't be sticking out of the bait because the plastic on the bottom will have begun to harden. If you use lead weights the will turn white over time unless you coat them with something. I make a weighted baby E and mold in a 4/0 frog hook....have got lots of big bites on that thing and it will come through weeds and brush surprisingly well. :twocents: Good luck.

What the manufactor and the number of the frog hook?

Be sure if you weight the bait that the weight is centered. If not, your bait may not swim but roll, especially if you let it go deep.

This style of bait will come up to the top of the water column quick due to the tail and the side fins.

Instead of trying to add weight in the bait, try a tungsten weight on your line in front of the bait. I peg mine with a bobber stopper. It will keep the bait down good, still allow that slow roll retrieve and keep the vegitation and other obstacles off the nose of your bait.

Just another option to consider....

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

Flip the pins around and put them in the mold backwards so they touch each other. This will give you a clear open hole to slide in a mojo style weight. Glue it in and your good to go. Bullet Weights Inc sell some 5/16" hollow lead wire that works nice. I use custom 5/8oz weights, but I like them to run 8-10ft. I still use the nickle plated brass insert if I want them to wake. A short shank #2 works the best. Still has some teeth but doesnt pick up excess weeds.