tacklecrafter

Poured My 1st Plastics With Mold I Made

I figured I try to pour my 1st plastic lures last night with a little scrap tubes. I made a 2 cavity Plaster mold. I used and old electric 2 burner stove, a butter knife, and a stainless steel pot(too big). I learned that plastic cools fast, when removed from the heat. Hey look at the bright side I got 3 lures I can use to fish with for free from scraps. I think I'll have to get some plastics and coloring and a few tools to get me started. Heres my lures and mold. Also whats the best way to coat a plaster of paris mold? My lures came out with no shine.

I figured I try to pour my 1st plastic lures last night with a little scrap tubes. I made a 2 cavity Plaster mold. I used and old electric 2 burner stove, a butter knife, and a stainless steel pot(too big). I learned that plastic cools fast, when removed from the heat. Hey look at the bright side I got 3 lures I can use to fish with for free from scraps. I think I'll have to get some plastics and coloring and a few tools to get me started. Heres my lures and mold. Also whats the best way to coat a plaster of paris mold? My lures came out with no shine.

Hey congrats!! i actually just made some of my own for the first time 3 days ago! its great once you get started and kinda get a little feel. and yes it does cool fast ... im pouring in my garage, which isnt insulated, and temps have dropped to a high of 5. as far as the whole coating thing i have no clue. wish i could help out but i just started myslef.

Shawn

Heres my mold and a few of the lures I poured!!! :unsure::lol:B)stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

stone catty.jpg

post-23076-126488994878_thumb.jpg

Heres my mold and a few of the lures I poured!!! :unsure::lol:B)stone catty.jpg

TackleCrafter, nice design on the lures, they should be a smallie killer. You can use a 50/50 mix of elmers glue and water to seal your molds. Mix it up and then fill your cavities and let it soak in. And do the edges too. do thi several times and you should be ready to go. let er' dry and pur em' up. Welcome to the fun, JIM

Edited by jimcline

You can seal it with straight epoxy, thinned epoxy with a little acetone,elmers and their is some spray stuff i can't seem to remember the name of. I like epoxy myself, gives baits a nice shiny finish.

Try durhams water putty for the molds, much stronger then plaster. Seal it with epoxy, now you just made it even stronger.

Hope this helps.

Edited by finfever