mainbutter

Painting Panfish Poppers?

If you are using foam, I usually just use some sharpies. If you are using balsa or other wood, I like to use nail polish, then put a coat of Sally Hansen "Hard-As-Nails" over the body once the nail polish has dried over night. Its a quick way to get a really sharp looking fly. I've noticed the fish dont really mind, its more of an anglers preference, or how proud of your craft you are. Don't spend too much time on the details, its the action of poppers that catch fish.

George

Yeah, what George said. Cheapo acrylic craft paints will also work pretty well. I use an epoxy topcoat for saltwater poppers and sliders, or sometimes multiple coats of Sally Hansen. The topcoat may make the Sharpie colors run a bit, which can give you some interesting effects if you use more than one color.

What kind of paint would I want to use for panfish poppers? Do they need to be topcoated with epoxy or anything?

I use finger nail polish if you are using the white waspi foam bodys. You can find some good colors and I don't even use a sealer it holds up pretty good. Last time I went to walmart I found finger nail polish for under a buck. You do get some werid looks form people tho. :)

Speaking of weird looks, I was in Rite-Aid with my wife today and was wandering around looking for the nail polish section when the following exchange took place:

Wife: I think the nail polish is over there.

PJ: SSHHHH!!! You want everybody to think I'm a little strange?

My wife moved on and I went to look at the nail polish. I was checking out some really neat looking colors when I heard my wife holler from the other end of the aisle:

"PETER, DID YOU FIND THAT GLITTERY TOENAIL POLISH THAT YOU LIKE?"

Every head in the store turned toward me; I looked around for a hole to crawl into. My wife was laughing so hard she could barely breathe, though she had enough sense to make it to the car ahead of me, because she knew I'd have left her there if I'd gotten behind the wheel first. She gets away with this stuff because she knows I won't strangle her in front of witnesses and she also knows she's safe at home, since our seven dogs like her a helluva lot better than they like me. The plus side is that Rite-Aid had some fantastic glitter colors for $7.50 apiece, but I'm not going back in there for a year at the very least.

• Like 1

Peter, good grief you liked to have killed me with that story. I got such a kick out of it.

As far as paint...I like to use acrylic paint, I also use paint pens, and marking pens. I have coated flies with Sally's Hard As Nails, epoxy, and interior/exterior varnish. I also love Bug Bond, and just started using it. If you use Sally's or paint pens, a lot of times it will smear...and it will smear certain eyes as well, so be careful with it. Really what you use is a personal preference...I tend to use many mediums. I like the Bug Bond because it cures so fast, but it is more expensive to use.

Kelly

Edited by Kelkay