Fernet

Powder Paint Beads… Hmmmm

I've been thinking of an efficient method to paint beads and inline lure bodies with powder paint. Complete coverage. The best I have come up with so far is to:

thread the beads on a silicone coated wire,

-heat and dip in a wide fluid bed,

-then hang on a rack and throw in the owen to cure.

The silicone would make them stay put so they don't bump in to eachother and also "be immune" to the paint. But I don't like that solution. I'll bet the good people here at TU have a better way of doing this. Right?

Edited by Fernet

I've been thinking of an efficient method to paint beads and inline lure bodies with powder paint. Complete coverage. The best I have come up with so far is to:

The silicone would make them stay put so they don't bump in to eachother and also "be immune" to the paint. But I don't like that solution. I'll bet the good people here at TU have a better way of doing this. Right?

I used a large paper clip and straightened it out to do a few of them, I just put them on the wire and made small kinks to keep the beads in place and then heat and dip, you can do a bunch if you get a roll of small gauge wire from the hardware store, just thread your beads on and inbetween each bead make a small kink to keep it in place and then after they are finished with the paint, if you leave enough wire on the end you can make a hook from the excess and just hang in your oven and believe it or not if you do this quickly you won't get paint in the beads, just a bit around the hole but when you pull them off the wire the paint will just come right off.

Yep, thats how I do it too Gunnr :) Thanks for the time and effort photoing and uploading.

How do you get them off Smallaw? Must you re-bend the wire every time? Else I think I'm thinking similar. Have'nt built a large fluid bed yet though. I just have the ones from TJ's.

Why do I powder paint beads? I guess I just like them pretty.

No well, the answer I had hoped for was a secret method to easily paint 1000's of 'em in ten minutes. Something very obvious when you hear how to but hard to figure out myself!

Edited by Fernet

Why do I powder paint beads? I guess I just like them pretty.

The reason I asked was I have a bead shop and some craft stores around me that I can get beads in so many colors and variety I was just curious why all the effort.

Another forum I go to people are asking if painting your sinkers was a plus. Makes for good conversation.

Hi, powder paint on beads can be tricky, I have been doing this for a bit and the best advice I can give is similar to a previous post about using a bit of wire and putting kinks into it to keep the beads seperated not bad it works... another tip is to just heat the beads enough so the paint just starts to melt when dipped. to much heat usually means to much paint w will melt onto bead and this tends to run when baked giving you a oval bead. What i do is this: I have some .051 stainless wire rigged up to fit onto my electric rotissarie oven onto the skewer. I heat and dip each bead on a scrap peice of wire and let it cool enough to handle, I then remove it from the scrap wire and slide it onto the .051 rigged wire, this eliminates the extra powder built up on the wire. I slide on a small 3/32" copper spacer to keep them seperate. I repeat and can do about a dozen at a time. and being rigged to the rotissarie keeps the paint flowing evenly as rotissarie turns when it flows out during the baking/curing process and the beads come out great.

I hope this helps!

Dan - Chaoticbaits