FuzzyGrub

Spinnerbait Wire Size, Type, And Stiffness

I received some spinnerbait heads that were suppose to be made with 0.035" Super Stainless Wire. I received the heads and was happy with the paint and finish but the wire appeared to be weaker than I was expecting. The wire was also a darker color compared to another spinnerbait that was made with 0.035 stainless.

At first, I thought the wire was not the correct diameter, and did some adhoc comparisons to a wire type feeler gauge. Today, I confirmed with a set of calipers that it is indeed 0.035 diameter. Also my known bait measured the same.

Next, I suspected that it is not stainless because of the darker color. I had "cleaned" a section to more shiny, and as of today seems like it turned dull already. I did a magnet test and the wire is readily attracted to it. My known stainless, as expected, had only a slight attraction.

Is there any other simple tests to prove or disprove what I have?

I don't think you have anything to worry about, it sounds to me like the super stainless you got is actually piano wire. Piano wire makes a great bait becuse it vibrates like mad but what you have already discovered is that it isn't very durable, when you catch a fish on a bait made out of piano wire you'll really have to tune it afterward because they get pretty bent up and you may only get 3 or 4 fish before it's ready to break depending on the size of the fish.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, it sounds to me like the super stainless you got is actually piano wire. Piano wire makes a great bait becuse it vibrates like mad but what you have already discovered is that it isn't very durable, when you catch a fish on a bait made out of piano wire you'll really have to tune it afterward because they get pretty bent up and you may only get 3 or 4 fish before it's ready to break depending on the size of the fish.

Yea, but the point of getting 0.035 stainless was to have a stiffer wire that will hold up. Not something like the 99 cent specials hanging on the rack. Also, from a visual aspect, the shinny silver is better than a dull black/brown.

The supplier has said:

"It is the newest form of Super Stainless and you are right it is Brown. "

A guy at work fell out of his chair, but if there is such a thing, would like to know.

Edited by FuzzyGrub

Yea, but the point of getting 0.035 stainless was to have a stiffer wire that will hold up. Not something like the 99 cent specials hanging on the rack. Also, from a visual aspect, the shinny silver is better than a dull black/brown.

The supplier has said:

"It is the newest form of Super Stainless and you are right it is Brown. "

A guy at work fell out of his chair, but if there is such a thing, would like to know.

Here is a picture (see link). The one on the left is my known stainless, the two on the right are the ones that I received.

WireCompare

I am far from an expert on this subject but do have a few thoughts on it. The fact that the magnet was attracted to it, I believe is a sure sign that it is not stainless. It may be stainless coated, but not pure through. Also where you cleaned it to a shiny finish and it has already returned to a dull finish may be a sign of rust forming which is what I would expect to see happening. These are all just my thoughts with no expertise to back any of it, but I hope it helped shed some light on the subject.

I received some spinnerbait heads that were suppose to be made with 0.035" Super Stainless Wire. I received the heads and was happy with the paint and finish but the wire appeared to be weaker than I was expecting. The wire was also a darker color compared to another spinnerbait that was made with 0.035 stainless.

At first, I thought the wire was not the correct diameter, and did some adhoc comparisons to a wire type feeler gauge. Today, I confirmed with a set of calipers that it is indeed 0.035 diameter. Also my known bait measured the same.

Next, I suspected that it is not stainless because of the darker color. I had "cleaned" a section to more shiny, and as of today seems like it turned dull already. I did a magnet test and the wire is readily attracted to it. My known stainless, as expected, had only a slight attraction.

Is there any other simple tests to prove or disprove what I have?

There are a multitude of different "stainless" products and some are highly magnetic (think about those magnetic knife holders available at kitchen supply places, they hold stainless cutlery just great). Different companies make their stainless wire in both bright and various camouflage colors, right now I've got a bunch of Sevenstrand stainless that is a kind of brassy color, so that's not a test either. I think I'd just fish them and let time be the judge..

If it is 'music" wire, but some brass beads on it and leave it in a moist place. Electrolysis should discolor or corrode it quickly. .035 stainless wire is considered a fairly light wire for 1/2 ounce and heavier spinnerbaits, though common on 1/4 & 3/8ths commercial spinnerbaits.

There are a multitude of different "stainless" products and some are highly magnetic (think about those magnetic knife holders available at kitchen supply places, they hold stainless cutlery just great). Different companies make their stainless wire in both bright and various camouflage colors, right now I've got a bunch of Sevenstrand stainless that is a kind of brassy color, so that's not a test either. I think I'd just fish them and let time be the judge..

My concern was 1st the stiffness and then the appearance. Neither were up to par with the 0.035" shiny stainless I had. I am not sure why you would select something that is weaker and uglier than the standard shiny stuff. I will be more careful in the future and not assume "Super Stainless" means shiny stainless.

I knew the magnet test is not 100% for all types, but none of the ss ones I own were attracted to the magnet like this was. It is not a red oxidation either, so wouldn't say they are steel. Doesn't a galvinized coating turn dull or dark?

FWIW: The supplier has provided me a full refund and commented on the board where I purchased them from about the discoloration.

Just a thought about this subject.

In regards to the "Music Wire" it will discolor but is in my opinion .. despite the discoloring which I find does not effect fish catching ..

the vibration that you get from it is exceptional and I use it even lighter than .031 on 1/4 and 1/8 oz spinner baits.

It is a "Finesse" wire and you do have to re bend but is well worth the extra effort on those tough days.

Just my 2 cents

JSC

Those look great and twisted eye too.  The twisted eye alone should make them hold up better than most.  If you are not going to use them send them my way. I sell Super Stainless Spinner wires in Camo Brown color that look just like these but not twisted eye.

So the super stainless use to be silver and shiny like the OP mentioned. The wire manufacturer quit making it as I tried to buy some more of it. The new super stainless is brownish in color (Yes I know it doesn't make any sense) and it is what I have been using on my baits. Somewhere around here I still have some of the original frames.

Allen

• Like 1