robbor

Poison Tail Jig W. Non-wide Gap Hook?

Can you pour the poison tail without using a wide gap hook? Im looking for a mold cant find anything i like, need something 3/4 oz and 1oz and barb for plastics for calico bass

Robber, Eagle claw makes a 28 degree hook. The hook is designed for the do it bullet bass jig mold. It should fit the poison mold since it is a 28 degree also. I am not 100 percent on this because I have never tried it in the poison mold. I am not sure of the sizes offered in that hook. You might want to check out this website if you have not already. Hope this helps. www.barlowstackle.com

I used the Mustad 32886BLN in my poison tail mold in 4/0 & 5/0

The mold does require a small amount of modification in the hook eye area to accept this hook.

Are you in So.Cal.?

Scott

Thanks all! Yes im in So Cal, im in San Fernando valley and we fish long beach harbor for calico bass.

Your jig looks great Elkin. Whats the modification? Been using arkie jigs from turners but they quit selling them

and we need a replacement. But i prefer fresh water.

robbor,

The mod. that I was referring to is to enlarge the hook eye area

The 32886BLN has a larger eye than the 91768BLN, especially if you jump up to the 5/0 size in the 32886

This is my modded mold. This is the standard 91768 in a 4/0 size

The stock mold would fit snugly around this hook

4cbcc4b6.jpg

This is the 32886 in the same cavity

82d1316c.jpg

This is a 5/0 32886BLN compared to the 4/0 91768BLN.

There is quite a size difference

49bed4ec.jpg

Do you already own the mold?

I'm over on the other side of the hill from you.

I can help you make the mods to your mold or pour you some heads.

Send me a PM if interested in either.

Scott

robbor,

The mod. that I was referring to is to enlarge the hook eye area

The 32886BLN has a larger eye than the 91768BLN, especially if you jump up to the 5/0 size in the 32886

This is my modded mold. This is the standard 91768 in a 4/0 size

The stock mold would fit snugly around this hook

4cbcc4b6.jpg

This is the 32886 in the same cavity

82d1316c.jpg

This is a 5/0 32886BLN compared to the 4/0 91768BLN.

There is quite a size difference

49bed4ec.jpg

Do you already own the mold?

I'm over on the other side of the hill from you.

I can help you make the mods to your mold or pour you some heads.

Send me a PM if interested in either.

Scott

Thanks, PM sent. If i cant get it to take the 32886 i am interested.

Rob, do you need weedguard jigs for the calicos?

SD, that is an outstanding mod job. What tool did use?

Ya we flip and pitch in very thick matts of kelp, and in the jetty rock walls, we have to have weedguards.

Even just flipping the bare rock we have to have them.

Sdsaw, that was supposed to be,"If i can get it to take the 32886 i am interested" from above.

Edited by robbor

Thanks hawnjigs!

I used a CNC mill and a 1/16 ball tip endmill

I pick up the existing eye locator and program a radius that will allow the larger hook eye to drop in

I'll do the same on both sides of the mold, cutting depth is half the hook thickness

Elken, were you able to pour this w/out any modifications to the mold?

The round bend are heavier hooks than the wide gaps, but you can get smaller sizes into the mold without mods. If you could pour up to 5/0 wide gap in the 3/8 oz. cavity, with the round bend you can get 4/0. I did put a RB hook in one cavity and when it wouldn't quite close tight, I tapped it with a hammer to let the hook eye open up the hook eye area of the mold the little bit it needed.

The round bend are heavier hooks than the wide gaps, but you can get smaller sizes into the mold without mods. If you could pour up to 5/0 wide gap in the 3/8 oz. cavity, with the round bend you can get 4/0. I did put a RB hook in one cavity and when it wouldn't quite close tight, I tapped it with a hammer to let the hook eye open up the hook eye area of the mold the little bit it needed.

Thanks for the info. I've been considering the thought of pouring these heads for a vibrating/chattering style bait w/a round bend hook. the only thing I need to figure out now is how to pour the heads w/out the weedguard hole...?? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info. I've been considering the thought of pouring these heads for a vibrating/chattering style bait w/a round bend hook. the only thing I need to figure out now is how to pour the heads w/out the weedguard hole...?? Any suggestions?

Yes, you can cut your base hole pin just short of the head where it protrudes into the mold and then file the remainder of the lead off after it is cast. It looks really good as I've done this many times. Or you can use high temp pins shown in white in the pic below. You still have to file the head. I don't use metal pins anymore they are a pain in the a$$. If you ever do a lot of jigs, the metal pins many times are hard to pull out, and many times I've gotten stuck with the hook. Once you go high temp pins you will never use a metal pin ever again.

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

basehole pins.JPG

post-13040-127524272286_thumb.jpg

Edited by cadman

Yes, you can cut your base hole pin just short of the head where it protrudes into the mold and then file the remainder of the lead off after it is cast. It looks really good as I've done this many times. Or you can use high temp pins shown in white in the pic below. You still have to file the head. I don't use metal pins anymore they are a pain in the a$. If you ever do a lot of jigs, the metal pins many times are hard to pull out, and many times I've gotten stuck with the hook. Once you go high temp pins you will never use a metal pin ever again.

Sounds like a winner. Has anyone had this mold custom made to be poured w/out the fiberguard?

Sounds like a winner. Has anyone had this mold custom made to be poured w/out the fiberguard?

Are you referring to heads being poured or are you referring to having this mold copied and duplicated without a weedguard hole. If you are referring to the latter, that design belongs to Do-IT molds and if I were you I would not copy it. Or you better ask Do-It molds for permission if you can do that. Also it would be very expensive to make a mold like that with all the features.

Are you referring to heads being poured or are you referring to having this mold copied and duplicated without a weedguard hole. If you are referring to the latter, that design belongs to Do-IT molds and if I were you I would not copy it. Or you better ask Do-It molds for permission if you can do that. Also it would be very expensive to make a mold like that with all the features.

I was referring to the latter and did ask Do-it if they would cut a mold w/out the weedguard. The response that I received suggested that I buy a blank and have a local CNC shop cut the molds w/out the weedguard for me. I'm assuming from this, they are alright with me doing so. I will ask again. This is why I asked if any of you have done so. I like the head design and think it would make a good spinnerbait/chatterbait style head.

Cadman the paint job in your profile picture looks great. Do you custom paint for others or just yourself? What are your thoughts on the pricing I've received on the SB heads? Do you think it is high? Should I keep looking and shoot for something lower? Any info would help.

Tommy

I was referring to the latter and did ask Do-it if they would cut a mold w/out the weedguard. The response that I received suggested that I buy a blank and have a local CNC shop cut the molds w/out the weedguard for me. I'm assuming from this, they are alright with me doing so. I will ask again. This is why I asked if any of you have done so. I like the head design and think it would make a good spinnerbait/chatterbait style head.

Tommy

The Do-it cavities are casted in and not machined out.

The sealing surfaces are machined along with the hinge sides

They do a darn good job with their molds

Are you planning to sell these baits or make them for personal use?

It seems possible to mod the mold to take the wire form and like Cadman suggested, use a shortened pin to block off the weed guard hole.

Cadman the paint job in your profile picture looks great. Do you custom paint for others or just yourself? What are your thoughts on the pricing I've received on the SB heads? Do you think it is high? Should I keep looking and shoot for something lower? Any info would help.

Tommy

Tommy,

The only reason I questioned you about the Do-It mold was not to offend, but was to give credit where credit is due and that belongs to Do-It. I have spoken with them many times, and they are very easy going and easy to work with. That is great that they will let you copy their mold. I will tell you like Sdsaw mentioned Do-It molds do not machine their molds only the faces, their molds are cast, which makes them affordable to you and me for $40.00 each. You will not get a machined mold for that price. If you want to have someone copy the poison tail mold be prepared to shell out some big money, there are many multiple contours in the jig face. Also it is much easier and cheaper to use high temp pins for what you want to do then buying a custom mold.

Finally yes I would consider painting other poured jigs. However here are the criteria. #1 your jigs have to be flawless in the raw state. If they are not any gouges or flash marks will only be accentuated by painting them. I know my work and I've seen others. Some have high quality raw jigs and some are happy with sprue mark and minor defects. You can paint any jig but you can not cover up poor or shoddy prep work. Send me a PM on what you are interested in. I will take a look at your spinnerbait thread shortly.

• Like 1

The Do-it cavities are casted in and not machined out.

The sealing surfaces are machined along with the hinge sides

They do a darn good job with their molds

Are you planning to sell these baits or make them for personal use?

It seems possible to mod the mold to take the wire form and like Cadman suggested, use a shortened pin to block off the weed guard hole.

I'd like to start a tackle business to sell product for an additional income stream.