Sly41985

Helllllp!

Hello there! I just bought a couple more molds and one of them is a weedless football head for bass. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on how to paint these. Right now I have two small one ounce jars of paint (black and white). I thought I needed to add a paint thinner because the paint was very very thick but when I added the thinner the paint became chunky and became this almost rubbery consistency. would dipping be the best method?? I was also wondering if brushing it on is possible?? the weed guards are already in place. The other thing is that I also have an Ultra Spinnerbait mold so how do you get a thin enough consistency to do multiple coats but also show detail?? Thanks a lot for all of your help guys I really do appreciate it!

Shawn

Hello there! I just bought a couple more molds and one of them is a weedless football head for bass. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on how to paint these. Right now I have two small one ounce jars of paint (black and white). I thought I needed to add a paint thinner because the paint was very very thick but when I added the thinner the paint became chunky and became this almost rubbery consistency. would dipping be the best method?? I was also wondering if brushing it on is possible?? the weed guards are already in place. The other thing is that I also have an Ultra Spinnerbait mold so how do you get a thin enough consistency to do multiple coats but also show detail?? Thanks a lot for all of your help guys I really do appreciate it!

Shawn

If the paint got goopy when you added the thinner you added the wrong type of thinner. You have to use the correct thinner or it will not work.

As for painting, powder coating is the way to go, dipping vinyl paints takes a long time and it would not make sense to paint football heads that way. The way to fish football heads is to drag the bottom, this will take the vinyl paint off in 2 casts.

shawn,

I will agree with BBK, you used the wrong thinner to thin the vinyl paint. I believe (but don't quote me) that you have to use lacquer thinner and not paint thinner to thin it.

Also do yourself a favor and go with powder paint. A lot easier, there is no smell and the results are beautiful. Once you get the hang of it you can get multi color jigs like my avatar, which you can not do with vinyl paint. PM Me if you want more info on powder paint.

Finally, my avatar is a Ultra-minnow spinnerbait, if you are going to use powder paint, you will not get the scale definition you want on the bait. The scale definition is not deep enough to allow that to happen when it is poured. You may get it from air brushing, but I've found that each mold is slightly different, and some have heavier scale definitions while others have less. I really wouldn't worry about the scale definition, you still can make beautiful spinnerbaits.

I agree with the others, you got the wrong thinner so the paint is pretty much done. If you don't want to use powder and insist on vinyl there are a few things you need to know, the first is you must always use a white base coat, even if you want the color to be white you need to put that base coat on first. If you plan on dipping you need the paint thinned but very little, you don't want the paint to drip or form a nipple as it dries and to keep the scale detail on the ultra minnow you must use very thin coats, a white base coat and then your colors but the must be very thin and like cadman already said, you may or may not have the detail because it isn't very deep, I spray powder on my ultra minnow spinnerbaits and the only way I keep the detail is by using transparent ,or as they are called by pro-tec, candy colors. Powder is much easier to use once you get the hang of it but vinyl is ok but more time consuming and messy.

If the paint got goopy when you added the thinner you added the wrong type of thinner. You have to use the correct thinner or it will not work.

As for painting, powder coating is the way to go, dipping vinyl paints takes a long time and it would not make sense to paint football heads that way. The way to fish football heads is to drag the bottom, this will take the vinyl paint off in 2 casts.

BBK Thanks for the advice! hopefully i can figure this thing out before the fishing season starts! lol With football heads just dip them the same way you dip anything else in powder paint?? This may seem like a stupid question but do you need a base coat when using powder paint??

shawn,

I will agree with BBK, you used the wrong thinner to thin the vinyl paint. I believe (but don't quote me) that you have to use lacquer thinner and not paint thinner to thin it.

Also do yourself a favor and go with powder paint. A lot easier, there is no smell and the results are beautiful. Once you get the hang of it you can get multi color jigs like my avatar, which you can not do with vinyl paint. PM Me if you want more info on powder paint.

Finally, my avatar is a Ultra-minnow spinnerbait, if you are going to use powder paint, you will not get the scale definition you want on the bait. The scale definition is not deep enough to allow that to happen when it is poured. You may get it from air brushing, but I've found that each mold is slightly different, and some have heavier scale definitions while others have less. I really wouldn't worry about the scale definition, you still can make beautiful spinnerbaits.

Yeah a friend told me to buy mineral spirits from walmart. i kinda figured it was the wrong thinner since it did that. i would love more info on how to use powder paint (im not exactly sure what PM means) because your avatar looks beautiful! did you airbrush that??

Need vinyl paint thinner for vinyl paints, anything else will not work.

As for dipping football heads, yeah just dip like any other jig. You will have to do this without the weed guard in, unless you want to make a hell of a mess.

I agree with the others, you got the wrong thinner so the paint is pretty much done. If you don't want to use powder and insist on vinyl there are a few things you need to know, the first is you must always use a white base coat, even if you want the color to be white you need to put that base coat on first. If you plan on dipping you need the paint thinned but very little, you don't want the paint to drip or form a nipple as it dries and to keep the scale detail on the ultra minnow you must use very thin coats, a white base coat and then your colors but the must be very thin and like cadman already said, you may or may not have the detail because it isn't very deep, I spray powder on my ultra minnow spinnerbaits and the only way I keep the detail is by using transparent ,or as they are called by pro-tec, candy colors. Powder is much easier to use once you get the hang of it but vinyl is ok but more time consuming and messy.

Yeah its a good thing i only tried it will a little sample size instead of the whole jar. Ive been doing some research and saw that you always have to use a base coat when vinyl painting. i didnt know that you have to use a specific paint thinner though. i tried dipping just a little jig yesterday in vinyl and saw how it formed the nipple and how you have to kinda wipe it off. i have been looking into air brushing and can see that powder is the way to go. now do you need those little jars for every single different color you are using?? how do you go about using different colors exactly?? ive been trying to find things on youtube but i never get what im looking for. Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Yeah its a good thing i only tried it will a little sample size instead of the whole jar. Ive been doing some research and saw that you always have to use a base coat when vinyl painting. i didnt know that you have to use a specific paint thinner though. i tried dipping just a little jig yesterday in vinyl and saw how it formed the nipple and how you have to kinda wipe it off. i have been looking into air brushing and can see that powder is the way to go. now do you need those little jars for every single different color you are using?? how do you go about using different colors exactly?? ive been trying to find things on youtube but i never get what im looking for. Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Acetone thins vynil paint. You can get it anywhere and its cheaper than Components Systems thinner. Which is in essence the same thing.

Need vinyl paint thinner for vinyl paints, anything else will not work.

As for dipping football heads, yeah just dip like any other jig. You will have to do this without the weed guard in, unless you want to make a hell of a mess.

alright sounds good ... except the fact that poured all of them with the weed guard it :-/ but a note to self for next time! Thanks a lot!

Shawn

PM means "private message"

This is TJ's site: http://www.tjstackle.com/

There's demo videos there.

If you face the jig up while it's drying, you can avoid the nipples forming, providing that you don't have way too much paint on that coat.

TJ has a drying fixture which clamps on the jig hook to hold it upright. This is also a good way to cure powder paint in the oven

Scott

Go To TJs Web site ... He has some excellent Videos on Powder Painting ... This will answer a lot of your questions ..... review each video ..

JSC

(dont have his URL handy)

I went to that site and it does have a lot of good information. Thanks!

Shawn