M@TT

Kbs Diamond Finish

Full strength I rotate in my hand a little then hang to drip dry. I got bubbles like crazy once putting them on the lure dryer. once in a while I got bubbles around the eyes.

It was very humid and was using water base paint so I tossed it up to that.

How are you storing the KBS? Have you had any storage issues with it yet?

thanks,

Ben

I haven't opened it for about a month so it's to early for me to say it has been fine every time so far lasting nearly 3 months to date. I give my word as I learn with this stuff so will all of you a TU. I owe all of you for helping me.

I brushed two display lures last week, came out ok, got two runs on each one that I didn't see. Rest of it turned out pretty good. The can has been opened 4 or 5 times now and always sealed with stretch wrap plastic. I picked the can up today and it's still sloshy liquid inside. If your going to use it occasionally you will need another few cans. I'm going to have a hard time opening this next time and I cleaned it up pretty good.

From what I've read thus far, KBS appears to have about all of the characteristics of the old DN formulation, which seem to be common to all one-part moisture-cure urethanes. RTU Createx Airbrush Colors must be thoroughly heat-cured before applying. I always brushed DN because it was fast, and I could control the amount of product on the lure, as opposed to dipping. Too heavy a coat, and you're apt to get bubble problems unless the product is kept nice and fresh and you allow excess to drip off. That is why dipping and then turning causes bubble problems with KBS: excess product is not allowed to drip off and the surface dries first. Keep the coating thin, and this won't happen; you'll be able to turn the lures then.

All of this really has been addressed in DN discussions. David Sullivan recently finished an entire pint of old-formula DN, using the tap-the-can-with-a-sheet-metal-screw method. Afterwards he opened the can and found, somewhat to his amazement...NOTHING. No deposits of cured DN whatsoever, nothing but an empty, shiny can.

I'm currently testing the new DN formulation which is not a moisture cure urethane, but an air-dried topcoat that can easily be applied by brush or dipping, thinned with water for spraying, and has no offensive odor. I've been fishing lures topcoated with this stuff, and though these baits haven't had time to fully cure, I am amazed at the hardness, clarity, ease of storage and application, and the durability they've shown thus far. From what I'm seeing, the new DN is the future of topcoats. I've encountered no negatives YET, nor have I spoken with anyone else, including Dick concerning any other testing results, so I'm adding the cautionary note here, while further testing is being carried out. So far though, I'm very impressed!

Sorry for going slightly off-topic here.

Dean

Dean,

I too am testing DN new topcoat. I have the same results as you. This stuff is way beyond good. I sprayed mine. It dried hard, clear, and fairly fast. No reaction to my paints (lacquer). I did a scratch test from day 1 to day 7. I couldn't tell any difference after day 3. I fished it hard, threw and retrieved it up my gravel driveway, and scraped it with hooks and knives. The stuff is very very tough!!!

Dean,

I too am testing DN new topcoat. I have the same results as you. This stuff is way beyond good. I sprayed mine. It dried hard, clear, and fairly fast. No reaction to my paints (lacquer). I did a scratch test from day 1 to day 7. I couldn't tell any difference after day 3. I fished it hard, threw and retrieved it up my gravel driveway, and scraped it with hooks and knives. The stuff is very very tough!!!

Tim,

The toughness is what is impressing me, as ease of use means little to me without that! And it is by far the most user-friendly stuff I've ever seen. It dries very very hard, but I've see no tendency for it to scratch or crack. Dick may have broken the code with this formulation!

I wouldn't think it would require very much dilution for spraying; about what ratio did you use?

Dean

Tim,

The toughness is what is impressing me, as ease of use means little to me without that! And it is by far the most user-friendly stuff I've ever seen. It dries very very hard, but I've see no tendency for it to scratch or crack. Dick may have broken the code with this formulation!

I wouldn't think it would require very much dilution for spraying; about what ratio did you use?

Dean

I didn't dilute it at all. I shot it at 35Lbs with a 5mm tip. It flowed out flat. I put on a pretty heavy coat. One coat was all I used for testing. Two coats would be more than enough for any application. I can't wait to get more.

I am also testing. I dipped a couple of small crankbaits. It took 3 dips to get the build I wanted but they look great. It did interact with my detail pen ink and caused it to run, but it looks kinda cool. Next batch I will spray with Createx clear first.

What is the dry and recoat time with the new DN?

Can it be dipped?

When can the rest of us take it out for a test drive?

Dry time @70 degrees and 50% hum.- dry to touch 1hr, set to touch 2.5hr, thoroughly dry in 4.5hr. Final cure in 12 - 15 days

I dipped a couple of small cranks and it works great. Very thin coats so it took 3 to get what I wanted. Recommended re-coating in 5hrs. Can be re-coated sooner but final durability will take longer.

Clean up with soap and water.

Information above came from instructions shipped with sample.

I have to second what everyone is saying about the new DNs. I was a little surprised when I looked at my sample because it isn't very clear (In fact, it's pretty cloudy). That being said, it dries very clear and so far (to me) seems pretty durable. For me, it was dry to touch in under an hour, but that is with very thin coats. There are some fumes, but no where near Dick's original formula. All that being said, I would like to wait a couple weeks and give it some time to cure before I really put it to the test. As of right now, two thumbs up.

Applied KBS Clear Diamond Finish to new head light housings 3 years ago.  They have turned yellow.
Applied KBS clear to chromed plastic center caps for expensive custom wheels 3 years ago.  Now they are history.  
In both cases KBS Diamond clear turned to yellow.  Expensive paint, terrible performance.  Clearly the paint will degrade when exposed to the sun.

• Like 1

Revivingn old thread based on a question i have. I dipped some painted jigs in KBS DIAMOND 5-6 days ago. They have been hanging in my basement which generally stays around 70 degrees. At this point they do not seem dry. They feel like they have a slimy finish. Is this normal. Do i need to do something different.