Saffie

Lazy Ike Wiggly Crawler

I am trying to find out if any one on this forum knows if this lure is still being made or knows how to make it. It was marketed by Lazy Ike. It is like a jig that has a metal lip cast into the lead. I have searched the net but nothing came up. Thanks for the help.

I remember the lure (I think my brother still has one). I don't know that it's still being made, but what I remember it looked like a spinner blade mounted in the front of the jig head with a hole for the line tie. It originally came with a 5-6" rigged black worm on the back. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to duplicate (I think my brother tried making a few). If you want I can try to get a picture of one from him (I'm sure he has it yet). You would have to modify a jig mold so the blade could be cast into the head and tied to the hook.

Kent

I remember the lure (I think my brother still has one). I don't know that it's still being made, but what I remember it looked like a spinner blade mounted in the front of the jig head with a hole for the line tie. It originally came with a 5-6" rigged black worm on the back. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to duplicate (I think my brother tried making a few). If you want I can try to get a picture of one from him (I'm sure he has it yet). You would have to modify a jig mold so the blade could be cast into the head and tied to the hook.

Kent

[/quote

I would like a picture, Please!

I have tried making something like it but have had no success because I do not remember it clearly. I did not realize it was Lazy Ike so was unable to google it up.

My parents, circa 1950, used Lazy Ike product all the way to the 1960's for Walleye, Northerns and Small Mouths and I remember it, but not clearly, unfortunately it is one part of the estate that did not get past down.

It would be fun to build it and use an old pattern again. I like old baits to fish with, something about the ruggedness built into them I find attractive.

Thank You,

PP

This is the best I could come up with. Apparently it's a picture of the package the lure came in with a picture of the lure on the box.

That is the lure, but I think that Pix came from an AD ?? I rember the Lure being in a "bag" .. I only had one of them back in the "50's" when soft plastics were first on the "move" and this was an early "Shot" at the market .. I never did a lot with it (remember catching a Big Blue Gill on it off of a ledge in Lake Martin Alabama the "Stinger Hook" got him)

Had a great action.

2 cents worth

JSC

I am trying to find out if any one on this forum knows if this lure is still being made or knows how to make it. It was marketed by Lazy Ike. It is like a jig that has a metal lip cast into the lead. I have searched the net but nothing came up. Thanks for the help.

NOt sure, but I think I have one of these still in the package. A friend gave it to me a few years ago to try and duplicate. I was semi-successful but not really happy with the results. So I put it away for a rainy day. Havn't thought about it since. I will try to find it and post a pic in the gallery.

John

Thanks for all the responses to my post. I am originally from South Africa and got hooked on this lure there. It has a killer action, especially with a long ribbon tail worm. It is also fairly snag resistant as the blade makes the hook ride over obstacles. i will keep searching though and might try my hand at making them. Cheers,

Well I went ahead and made one. Used an Indiana style blade, Gamakatsu spinnerbait hook and my Shekey head jig mold for the head. I flatened out the blade and threaded the hook through the hole in the blade. The flat blade and hook actually fit in the mold pretty well. I then just poured the molten lead on either side of the blade to pour the head. Took a couple of tries to get it to our just right. The head was still a little loose on the blade, but I used some solder and a coat of powder paint to cure that. I will post some pictures on the Gallery page.

I remember seeing a post on here with a video of something very similar last year. It looked like a small Colorado blade with a ball shaped lead weight attatched on one end with an attached hook. That thing really moved well in the water.

I remembered that thread. It took some finding!

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/15499-any-ideas-how-i-can-make-one-of-these/page__p__117245__hl__lazy__fromsearch__1#entry117245

Hope this gives some ideas.

Dave

Saffie, I finally found it hope this helps you. The blade does look like an Indianna blade, but it is still cupped and not flattened. It also looks like the blade and hook may have a pin running through them not sure about that it could be marks from the machining of the mold. Hope this picture helps you in some way. John

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/7514-pic-of-a-lazy-ike/

Edited by JBlaze

Saffie, I finally found it hope this helps you. The blade does look like an Indianna blade, but it is still cupped and not flattened. It also looks like the blade and hook may have a pin running through them not sure about that it could be marks from the machining of the mold. Hope this picture helps you in some way. John

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/7514-pic-of-a-lazy-ike/

Thanks John,

That is the lure. The one I made does not have the cupped side, but still works pretty well. I had to flatten it out so it would fit in my Shakey head mold. I will try to get some video of the action posted. Looks pretty good coming through the water. Thnaks again for the pic.

Cheers,

Desmond

Reading this thread got me wanting to take another stab at making another version of the Lazy Ike. My first version was a 3/8 oz silicone round head mold, I was very disapointed in it,it just didn't have the action that I thought it would. As Koop Sugggested, This second attempt was made by modifying a 3/4 ounce Do-It spinnerbait mold to accept the blade. The blade and hook are pinned together with a brass pin before being inserted in the mold.I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the blade directly in front of the pin so that the molten lead would go through the blade and anchor it securely inside the head. (I don't think it will come apart)The hooks are spinnerbait hooks, front hook is a 5/0 rear is a 3/0. I poured three of them this morning. One with a concave facing blade and one with a convex facing blade. Also one with a painted blade. Can't wait to get them in the water to see how or if they will wiggle, waggle, rock and roll!

Pics posted in the gallery.

John

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/7540-lazy-ike-lookalike-006ajpg/

Edited by JBlaze

Hey fellows, I finally got a chance to try out the Worm Wiggler. The one with concave surface facing forward works very well. It starts wiggling at a slow pace and stays down.

The one with convex surface facing forward works as well but it has to be retrieved at a faster pace to start its wiggle and it also wants to climb to the surface when retrieved. I tried to take a video of it at the lake but it didn't show up very well because of the glare so I made a video in the old faithful bath tub. Hope this link works. Click on pic and it should pop up.

John

th_WormWiggler.jpg

Edited by JBlaze

Looks like you nailed it John. It's got a great swimming action. There was another apparatus that had pretty much the same action and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and I can't find either of the two that I had. It was just a thin strip of metal approximately 1/4" wide that was bent into a sort of lazy "S" shape. It had a hole drilled into one end for a line tie and a hook was pop riveted into the other end for a plastic worm to be slid onto. We used to thread a rubber band through the line tie hole and then hook the other end of the rubber band onto the barb of the hook to make it weedless. They were really popular on Toledo Bend a number of years ago.

I was looking for information on the "Wigly Crawler", and the "Wigly Jig Crawler" when I came across your thread in Google.

I was given some old fishing tackle from a friend who had it given to him. What a nice old collection, these were some of the finds in the tackle box. They are still in the plastic bags.

I know this thread is an old one but if you would like to see them I could probably make that happen. I haven't taken any pictures of any of the lures as I am just now really looking into what it is I have in this old tackle box.

Posted Today, 10:48 PM

Ok guys .......... I became interested in them a couple of years ago. I bought a few and then I found the hooks and the blades on eBay awhile ago. I was going to make some but I made a larger one for salt water that didn't work because the blade was too small for the weight of the ball. The Lazy Ike has incredible action though. I'll see if I can dig the out and take pics.

The hook had a special open eye that hooked into a hole in the back of the blade. It's similar to the pic'l Eau but not the same. I think it has a straight hook instead of a ring then a hook to ad stability. Remember..... It's a lead ball with a lip.

Here ya go ...

image.jpeg

Blade with hook. The hook has a curve to fit the blade instead of the eye

image.jpeg

Better look at the blade and hook

image.jpeg

Size of the blades

image.jpeg

Rigged lazy Ike

image.jpeg

Comparison....... Lazy Ike ........ Bladedancer ......... Pic'l eau

Hope this helps

Btw ........ All three have something out the back that stabilizes. Lazy Ike and Bladedancer have fixed hooks and the other has a fixed clip.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

post-14594-0-92815700-1459720944_thumb.jpeg

post-14594-0-15743000-1459721055_thumb.jpeg

post-14594-0-85450800-1459721111_thumb.jpeg

post-14594-0-17561500-1459721157_thumb.jpeg

post-14594-0-60647400-1459721366_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rhahn427

On 8/18/2010 at 6:03 PM, Saffie said:

I know how to make them you can reach me on fb yukonhuber