wingnut

Quantum Catalyst Problem

I bought a pair of Quantum catalyst spinning reels several years ago and really liked them. The anti reverse malfunctioned on one of them and thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had any Ideas on getting it repaired. The lever under the spool engages but only takes a small amount of pressure for the spool to spin backwards. Causing a slight problem on the hook set, LOL. Any Ideas.

Sounds like the one-way anti-reverse bearing may be contaminated with dirt or otherwise failing to turn "on". May not be a big deal and I would definitely try getting it fixed, or fix it myself, before junking it. The Catalysts are not expensive but not so cheap that I'd consider one a "use it and lose it" reel. It would probably be worth sending back to Quantum for service if the reel is still in good condition. JMHO.

Sounds like the one-way anti-reverse bearing may be contaminated with dirt or otherwise failing to turn "on". May not be a big deal and I would definitely try getting it fixed, or fix it myself, before junking it. The Catalysts are not expensive but not so cheap that I'd consider one a "use it and lose it" reel. It would probably be worth sending back to Quantum for service if the reel is still in good condition. JMHO.

My thoughts exactly about the quality and value of the reel. Having two of them alike makes trying to get the one fixed to make a pair again more worthwhile. Didn't think to send to back to quantum. I'll look up their site and see how their costomer service is. thanks for the reply and the right on target Idea.

Does the handle spin in reverse as the spool spins in reverse

Yes It does. Doesn't take much pressure to get it spinning backwards either. Called quantum yesterday, very helpful. Right away said it was the clutch under the rotor. Claimed it was a normal wear item

should only cost about $20.00 for parts and shipping. Pretty good deal to get the reel working again so I can have a matched pair of reels again. Hopefully it works out, I was surprised how quickly the service rep had an answer.

I had the same problem with three Quantum reels that I've owned for ten years.

In my case, it was that the lubricant in the anti-reverse bearing, the big roller bearing, had gotten old and stiff.

I soaked the bearings in acetone for an hour, and then blew them out with an air hose. I redipped them in clean acetone, and then blew them out again.

I kept up the dip and clean until the bearings moved totally freely, and only in one direction.

After I was sure they were really clean, I applied a few drops of the Quantum hot sauce oil, and spun them to make sure the oil was all the way in.

When I reassembled the reels, they worked great again.

Since my reels are older than yours, the bearings may be different, but that's what I'd try.

All I use is quantum reels I have 10 energy reels I use daily. The best all round quality and service you will ever find. Fishing tourneys as myself I need that.

Without a doubt the reel should serve you well for years to come.

Thanks for the replys. I've been pretty well satisfied with the reels performance. I've since replaced the reels with Okuma Alumina's, which seem comparible in quality. If I ever bought a top quality reel I would probaby never look back. If the repair goes well I'll pass these reels on to my son who could use them. Taking the bearing out and re-lubing might do the trick but I've alredy ordered the replacement parts. I'm not a reel repairman but it looks like it's a gear on the outside with grooves for the anti-revers to lock into when engaged and a bushing on the inside of the gear. The slipping looks like it's going on between the bushing and the gear.

Well yeah, you can replace the bearing but the new one may not come lubricated from the factory and you'll encounter the same problem sooner if you don't oil it. I soak large bearings like that in naphtha to remove the gummed up grease/oil and lube them with some light oil. If the bearing includes plastic parts, I wouldn't soak it in acetone which can damage plastics. Naphtha won't harm plastic. JMHO, when something goes wrong on a spinning reel, it's usually due to lack of cleaning and lubrication. If the IAR bearing needs cleaning, the interior parts probably do too.

Well yeah, you can replace the bearing but the new one may not come lubricated from the factory and you'll encounter the same problem sooner if you don't oil it. I soak large bearings like that in naphtha to remove the gummed up grease/oil and lube them with some light oil. If the bearing includes plastic parts, I wouldn't soak it in acetone which can damage plastics. Naphtha won't harm plastic. JMHO, when something goes wrong on a spinning reel, it's usually due to lack of cleaning and lubrication. If the IAR bearing needs cleaning, the interior parts probably do too.

All reels with ARB will have this problem,just learn how to clean the bearing.(ARB= anti reverse bearing)

Edited by Chetco

All reels with ARB will have this problem,just learn how to clean the bearing.(ARB= anti reverse bearing)

I think you're right about cleaning the bearing. That probably would have taken care of the problem. Had I known it was an ARB ( I thought that meant anti-rust bearing ) I would have cleaned,re-lubed and re-installed. Looking at the bearing, It looked a little strange for a regular needle bearing. Live and learn, thanks for straightening me out on that and thank you for sharing your expertise, it's definitely welcome. Chances are I'll run Into the same problem in the future.