MadManz

Thining Flexcoat

Guys I need some advice...

I have been tinkering and having some fun tearing down rods and building a few kits, it is addictive to say the least. I have a problem that keeps comming up over and over....

I am using Flex-Coat High Build finish and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I just finished a 7' rod....by the time I got to the last eye, and the tip wrap my epoxy was like Jello........what gives? Can I add some thiner material to give me more apply time? Is there a better Apply time product out there?

Thanks

I have been tinkering and having some fun tearing down rods and building a few kits, it is addictive to say the least. I have a problem that keeps comming up over and over....

I am using Flex-Coat High Build finish and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I just finished a 7' rod....by the time I got to the last eye, and the tip wrap my epoxy was like Jello........what gives? Can I add some thiner material to give me more apply time? Is there a better Apply time product out there?

Thanks

Warm temperatures can reduce the pot life on your epoxy. Pouring the mixed epoxy out on aluminum foil and working from there will extend the pot life some. It also gives you a good place to pop the bubbles also. I use Threadmaster and really like it and although I've never used flex coat I think they are similar products.

If you need a little extra working time, you can use a heat gun to warm the epoxy. Heating makes Flex Coat temporarily thinner and easier to spread, but it also makes it set up faster.

How long were you working before the epoxy became too thick to spread? Flex Coat has one of the longest set times of any of the epoxies I've tried. I've taken 45 minutes when using Flex Coat (I used it for lures; now I use Etex), and I could still use it at the end of that time.

Ben

Thanks

Chances are you are overworking the epoxy. You might try putting it on each guide without trying to be so exact, then come back and finish around the foot of the guides. You could also try the Lite build formula. I like to start at the tip and work back toward the handle, this will allow you to get a thinner coat on the thin part of the rod and it will level a little better for you. When you are applying to the guides at the thicker portion of the rod you will have a bit more epoxy on the wraps and that will help level it out. You can assist the leveling a little with either a heat gun or alcohol torch. Be careful and don't cook it or it will set up and crystalize on you.

But overall just work faster by applying it without trying to work it into and onto the threads so carefully.