RSBreth

Smaller 30 Degree Jig Hooks?

I use the 32724 mustad it is a 28 degree hook but works well in this mold I like it because it is a light wire hook just like the original wisconsin style swim jigs I use it for all of my open water swim jigs I have some 1/0 and 2/0 but they are really hard to find the 91768 comes in a 1/0 its a wide gap I am not big on the ewg style for this jig it snags too much

As a last resort, you can try bending 60* the least amount of deflection that will fit the mold. I just tried bending a VMC 6161(older version of 7161 60* flipping jig hook) & got it to 35* or so, but not sure if others won't snap. Don't have any Mustad 32786 1/0, but lately Ultra Point wire is often soft enuf to bend a bit.

I don't have the SMJ-3-SF, but would guess a double downsize might require some mold alteration.

As a last resort, you can try bending 60* the least amount of deflection that will fit the mold. I just tried bending a VMC 6161(older version of 7161 60* flipping jig hook) & got it to 35* or so, but not sure if others won't snap. Don't have any Mustad 32786 1/0, but lately Ultra Point wire is often soft enuf to bend a bit.

I don't have the SMJ-3-SF, but would guess a double downsize might require some mold alteration.

Yeah, I was thinking I might have to resort to a little "persuasion" (bending) of another hook. I'll keep looking around.

Thanks guys. I don't post much but everyone is always helpful.

Yeah, I was thinking I might have to resort to a little "persuasion" (bending) of another hook. I'll keep looking around.

Thanks guys. I don't post much but everyone is always helpful.

I've recently started bending the Mustad 32786BLN in sizes 3/0-5/0 to fit in the poison-tail mold

What I've learned is that you cannot re-bend the existing bend because it will snap.

What does work is to bend the straight part of the hook shank with needle nose pliers to bring the eye down to 30 deg.

Scott

I've recently started bending the Mustad 32786BLN in sizes 3/0-5/0 to fit in the poison-tail mold

What I've learned is that you cannot re-bend the existing bend because it will snap.

What does work is to bend the straight part of the hook shank with needle nose pliers to bring the eye down to 30 deg.

Scott

Exactly! The only hook I've had snap with a shank bend was an unusually hard tempered Gamakatsu. Hook tempering is apparently not a perfect precision process as different batches of identical model hooks can vary in hard/soft-ness. Wire stiffness can even vary within batches!

I've noticed that too. I've tied a certain fly over the years that need the hook shank bent a little, some batches will get an occasional broken hook more often than others, but sometimes it's just a random break in an otherwise good batch of 100.

You just never know until you start bending.