volman42

Melting Weed Guards

hey guys i need some help i have been trying to bake my jig heads with the weedguards in them. i know that u can leave them out and then glue them in but for some reason i like doing things the hard way when i put my jigs in my toaster oven the weedguards seem to melt off i put a piece of copper over them but it dosent take long for them to melt off does anybody have any suggestions

I don't want to sound rude but why do you insist on doing things the hard way. I have never had success with weedguards and powder painting, However I am too picky. I guess you can lower the temp and bake longer??? I don't think that would work but you can try that, or you can hand paint or airbrush your jigs and not use powder paint. I'm sure others will give you some more insight.

I have tried all the ideas that have ever been mentioned to me and found all of them to be a waste of my time. So I mold all of them without the weedguard. On the ones that don't accept the pins, I have made my own pins. It may take a bit longer but the end product is a lot better by gluing them in later.

Follow cadman's advice.

Add me to the glue in list. I also tried going the powder paint route with the guard in but they just didn't work out, even with aluminum foil wrapped, weedguard sleeves etc. Go with the super glue gel route, I use the indoor/outdoor formulation as it's waterproof and saves a lotta time. If ya goof and pull the pins too early and the hole shrinks up just keep a drill handy, in fact, even the one's that look ok I've started drilling them anyway as it makes for a nicer job overall.

hey guys i need some help i have been trying to bake my jig heads with the weedguards in them. i know that u can leave them out and then glue them in but for some reason i like doing things the hard way when i put my jigs in my toaster oven the weedguards seem to melt off i put a piece of copper over them but it dosent take long for them to melt off does anybody have any suggestions

I use both methods depends on how lazy I get. If you still want to powder paint with the weedguard in use the tubes from Barlows work great. Use temp at 225 for 20 min you may need to experiment with temp and time but this works for me. To keep weedguard straight just take bread wrappers and wrap the tip just tight enough to keep twist tie from slipping down then when cool just untwist and trim guard to length you want