G-Dawg

Glueing Eyes On Jigs

What do you use to glue eyes on Jigs after powder paint cure? :unsure:

The eyes I use have their own adhesive and I coat over them with a topcoat. Devcon works, spray clear works, but the easiest thing to use is Sally Hansens hard as nails fingernail polish. Just apply enough to where it coat the eye and fills the eye cavity.

Allen

What do you use to glue eyes on Jigs after powder paint cure? :unsure:

Hey G-Dawg,

I would have to agree with not using the Hot Glue. Strings, smears, and just flat out doesn't stick. My suggestion is to start with the expensive WTP eyes. The imported ones don't stick( always buy USA). I use a small seringe with some head cement. Its thin to not make a mess, it eats into the powder to hold strong, and it dries quick. After that I clear the whole lure. I do this on all jigs and spinnerbaits that require eyes. After 20 yrs and roughly 2,000,000 lures annually....we have done just a little bit of trial and error.lol I have attached a link to our site so that you can take a look at some good photos of spinnerbaits with eyes. http://shop.htlureco.com/Painted-Spinnerbait-Heads_c118.htm

Hope this helps....:D

FWIW - I use GOOP to glue molded eyes on saltwater flies and it does a great job. GOOP will stick to virtually anything and it's very durable - the trick is using a tiny dab on a needle or a toothpick. To apply the eyes, I wrap the tip of a wooden skewer or coffee stirrer with double sided tape, use it to pick up the eye on the convex side, carefully apply the GOOP, then press the eye firmly into place, carefully rolling the applicator off the eye. Saltwater flies take a terrific pounding on rocks, etc., but the GOOP works better than anything I've ever tried. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work equally well on jigs.

I use super glue gel made by titebond. Put the smallest drop possible on the jig and then stick on eye and press it in. I use a piece of wire to press with. Also a good tip is to wear latex gloves. Super glue fumes really bad and will turn any finger print white. I wear gloves when handling my jigs from the time they come out of the oven until the eyes and weedguard are glued into place. Then give the jigs plenty of time to dry completely before storage. The gel super glue takes some time to dry.

Hope this helps,

Tim

I have tried to use Super Glue and Head Cement, just to get eyes on to the powder painted surface. Super Glue work just fine, but Head Cement turned glued area in yellow for some reason. I am covering my spinner baits and will cover jig in a layer of Envirotex. The reason for that, is after one trip all my powder painted spinners and jigs are "destroyed" by hitting underwater the rocks.

Other wise use epoxy.