Captain Tom

Help With Making Molds For Offshore Trolling Bait Heads

My name is Captain Tom and I am trying to get started pouring my own clear plastric trolling lure heads. I have located my plastic and catalyst, and they also have a silicon putty or something like that. My question is how do I make a smoker type head? approximately 1 1/2 " to 2" in diameter approximately 3" total length, but the last 1" should be necked down to somewhere around 1". The necking down is for adding my silicon skirt. These are for Big Game Fish, Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo. Can anyone here help me with some answers. I was told to buy a book from Jim Rizzutto lure making 101,102 but he is in Hawaii and sending a check and waiting will take at least a month. Hopefully, there is a lure Guru here, <BR><BR>I am also moderator for Bloody Decks .com for the East Coast. I have a charter service and Swordfishing , Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo are my passion. 30 years of Long lining Swordfish, now charter fishing is my life. I really appreciate any help I can get<BR><BR>Thanks Captain Tom

Edited by Captain Tom

My name is Captain Tom and I am trying to get started pouring my own clear plastric trolling lure heads. I have located my plastic and catalyst, and they also have a silicon putty or something like that. My question is how do I make a smoker type head? approximately 1 1/2 " to 2" in diameter approximately 3" total length, but the last 1" should be necked down to somewhere around 1". The necking down is for adding my silicon skirt. These are for Big Game Fish, Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo. Can anyone here help me with some answers. I was told to buy a book from Jim Rizzutto lure making 101,102 but he is in Hawaii and sending a check and waiting will take at least a month. Hopefully, there is a lure Guru here, <BR><BR>I am also moderator for Bloody Decks .com for the East Coast. I have a charter service and Swordfishing , Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo are my passion. 30 years of Long lining Swordfish, now charter fishing is my life. I really appreciate any help I can get<BR><BR>Thanks Captain Tom

Tom - this place swarms with gurus, but you might want to start by doing a Google search for Larry Dahlberg moldmaking videos - that should give you a basic idea of how the process works, and you'll know what questions to ask. Making a mold isn't difficult once you know what you're doing, (and have a prototype) but it would take several hours to explain the whole process. You could also check out Husky's TU thread on molds using cheap silicone from Walmart. - that would be a great way to get some practice without breaking the bank. One tip: pourable RTV silicone is a much better option for a beginner than silicone putty because of the longer working time. Dahlberg makes using the putty look easy, but there's no margin for error and the stuff is expensive. If you're going to be making clear big game trolling heads, you're gonna want to get it right the first time, since you can't paint over flaws and the plastic isn't reusable. I've thought about doing some big game heads for the fun of it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.