Sly41985

Powder Paint Question

Before curing i pop the eye of the hook out so paint doesnt cure over it. sometimes in oven after curing i see that the paint has dripped back over the hole closing it and now it is cured. what can i do to help solve this problem? Thanks Shawn

That is a common problem with getting too much paint on the jig. Very common with hand dipping. Try "fluffing" the paint between each jig, and being quicker on the dip/swish. If you are pushing it into the paint, that would get way to much on them. Also tap it on jar edge to try to get any access off.

Another possibility is you are curing at too high/long of a temp/duration. Should be around 350F/15-20 min. If you are getting the problem on some jigs and not others of the same color, it is probably the too much paint issue.

Edited by FuzzyGrub

Sly,

Exactly what FuzzyGrub said. Way too much paint compounded with too high of a heat for too long, makes the paint want to run. I bake at 325/350 give or take for 15 min. One last thing you could do which I found worked really well is get yourself some new drill bits that fit loosely (but not sloppy) inside the hook eyes. When you heat your jig and swish it through the paint, immediately push the drill bit with the shank end into the hook eye and out the other side. You will see a lot more powder paint come out and stick to the flat end of the drill bit. This cleans out eyes really well. Let us know how you do.

Sweet! Thanks for all the help guys ... does this mean i should invest in a fluid bed too?? i know it helps to make thinner coats

Shawn,

A fluid bed will put on a thinner more even coat. If you want to buy one please check out one of our members here. TJ's Tackle. Benjamin has a complete set-up ready to use right out of the box.

Edited by cadman