Cabrilla Grande

Volcano Problem

I finally got a fluid bed from TJ's tackle and it works great so far, except on one color. I'm using the 2" cups with pro tec white, chartruese and watermelon colors and it works fine and gets that nice boiling effect. But when I try the red pro tec it creates these volcanoes no matter what. I even tried using extra filters below the cups and it still volcanoes.

Is it just bad paint? Or are there colors that just won't work with the fluid beds because of their density or other factors?

But when I try the red pro tec it creates these volcanoes no matter what. I even tried using extra filters below the cups and it still volcanoes.

Is it just bad paint? Or are there colors that just won't work with the fluid beds because of their density or other factors?

You nailed it on the head. I'm surprised you have a problem with red. Usually white is the issue because it is heavier than all the others. You can try making your own cup and using vacuum cleaner bags, allergy pillow cases or brown lunch bags. This may solve your problem and then just use that cup as a dedicated one for red powder.

I have that issue with the pink. If I fill it as high as I can, that is the only way it would help me. Pink is the only issue I have.

My cups are 3.5-4.5" high also. Just made 4 cups with the brown paper bag bottoms, no issues. Used lunch bags, and the paper is really thin. Not sure I'm liking that, may be to easy to poke a hole in it.

So are we saying that TJ's cups are not any better than a homemade cup? I am having the same problem with some of the new BOSS powders. The reptile color is really good, however I get the volcano blow ups and not the boiling effect. Is it because the air is not balanced coming through the cup or is it the powder is just too heavy? Is it common to add filters to TJ's cups? Any thoughts are appreciated

So are we saying that TJ's cups are not any better than a homemade cup? I am having the same problem with some of the new BOSS powders. The reptile color is really good, however I get the volcano blow ups and not the boiling effect. Is it because the air is not balanced coming through the cup or is it the powder is just too heavy? Is it common to add filters to TJ's cups? Any thoughts are appreciated

I would never say that about TJ's cups because I have never used them. What I will tell you is this. Plain and simple all powders don't work with one type of fluid bed media. I have used 50 different manufacturers of powder paint. They are all slightly different and they are all slightly different based on color. From TGIC polyesters to Epoxies to Hybrids to Urethanes they are all different. The other big factor is humidity. No matter what you do powder paint will absorb some moisture that's just the way it is, unless you live in a humid free environment. The most I can say guys, is do the best with what you have and try your powder with different filters. When you find "The One" that works mark it for that color. However, next time it may not work as well as the last time. This is my experience over the years. Someone may be better at this and give more insight.

I have TJ's cups, and they are very well made, made my own only because I wanted deeper cups. Powders ionize differently from color to color. I have sent several people to TJ to buy their fluid beds, and posted to use him on e-bay on many forums, I would not do that w/o support for his product.

Ok TJ, send those free cups to my address now lol.

I have a Tjs fluid bed and it works fantastic!! The volcano problem for me is the white but I found a way to deal with this but it'll only work for baits that are 3/4oz and less because the cup can only be filled 1/2 way to the top. What help me is when I have the paint in the cup and plug in the air I get the volcanos but by tilting the cup a few degrees the paint shifts more to one side and begins the boiling effect, I can paint 4 to 6 jigs like that before the paint starts to get the volcanos but all I do is tilt the cup the opposite way and its good to go again. Remember, I'm not pyutting it on a 45 degree angle or anything like that, I just have a small 5/16" shim that I put under the side of the fluid bed, it doesn't get rid of the problem all to gether but it will help.

I have a lot of TJ's cups, and they work flawlessly. I have found through experience that the volcanoeing effect seems to come from the fact that the air is finding it's way to the top before it has a chance to fluidize (float) the paint. To eliminate this I just add more paint which then allows the paint to have a bit more weight for the air to elevate it. By doing this the air then has more time and pressure on it to dissperse throughout the paint and produce the boiling optimum effect.

I hope that makes sense for you guys as it is a bit difficult to explain. If you are still confused, add additional paint to the cup (a bit at a time) to reach the desired amount.

Also, I agree, there are no two powder paints that work the same. Keep experimenting til you find the combination that works.

It was not my intent to disparage TJs products -- forgive me if I came across poorly. I appreciate all the info- I did find that if I turned the Air up and let the powder "volcano" for a little bit and then back it down - I would get a better boiling effect. I also found that by putting a full coffee filter under my cup that all the blow out powder could be collected and poured back in after use ( I am using the 2" cups ).

I don't know if the weak pump would cause your issue or not, but make sure your cup is seated right the whole way around. Some times if it is tilted a little, I will have issues. Another thing I see is the less powder I use, the more issues I have with it. Make sure whatever you used to seal your filter to the cups is not sticking past the outside of the cups so you can get that good seating of the cup also.

Are you keeping your powder in a nice cool, dry place? Any dampness to the powder and it may not work well.