Nitro2001

Lead Pouring Help

I really appreciate all the great info on this site.

I'm a new member to this site, but have read up and learned very much. Started slow, but have caught on. I used the candle for a release and it seems to be working well - making sure the molds are warm/hot before pouring - and all the great tips. Have been just pouring jigs and really like what i see.

Yet - this is where i need help. I have a bottom pourer and it seems to clog up very easy. I took a drill bit to push through the bottom. It works, but now I can't even a drip............

It's a little frustrating, but am progressing carefully.

Would really appreciate the board's expertise.

I'm a new member to this site, but have read up and learned very much. Started slow, but have caught on. I used the candle for a release and it seems to be working well - making sure the molds are warm/hot before pouring - and all the great tips. Have been just pouring jigs and really like what i see.

Yet - this is where i need help. I have a bottom pourer and it seems to clog up very easy. I took a drill bit to push through the bottom. It works, but now I can't even a drip............

Someone will be along soon with the answers you need. I am new to this also. I have a drill bit clamped in a pair of vice grips that I use to clean the drip/pour hole with. After I pour out the lead and unplug the unit I clean and scrape the hole each time before I put it away. So far that process is working . I don't think you are supposed to mess with it if you have liquid lead in the pot. It is probably considered an unsafe method. Hope this helps.

The pour spout is closed with dross. I open it up with a small file bent at a 90 degee angle or a small wire. I personally do not smoke molds or pre-heat them. I do use pre-cleaned soft lead. This is where I differ from many here. I love the soft stuff. Pour enough and your problem will be how to stop the runs.

The pour spout is closed with dross. I open it up with a small file bent at a 90 degee angle or a small wire. I personally do not smoke molds or pre-heat them. I do use pre-cleaned soft lead. This is where I differ from many here. I love the soft stuff. Pour enough and your problem will be how to stop the runs.

Someone will be along soon with the answers you need. I am new to this also. I have a drill bit clamped in a pair of vice grips that I use to clean the drip/pour hole with. After I pour out the lead and unplug the unit I clean and scrape the hole each time before I put it away. So far that process is working . I don't think you are supposed to mess with it if you have liquid lead in the pot. It is probably considered an unsafe method. Hope this helps.

Hmmm...have never emptied either of mine, actually top it off with sprues and loose lead before I kill the power. Probably keep about 8# in it at all times. It looks like a wreck, but that is mostly from all the weedguard melties on the outside. I do keep a bent jumbo paper clip around for clogs, but have not had one since running a bunch of wheel weights thru for ingots several years ago.

Also feel free to run that temp control up. Usually pour no less than setting 7, will run it all the way if trying to get lead to flow around spinnerbait wires, spoon frames, etc.

Did you try going through the old posts in lead pouring . Because there are a bunch on this subject and a lot of information from people that have been pouring for 50 years .

Sounds like you've got some dirty lead. You may need to drain your pot, clean it up and start over again.

Do you only use clean lead when pouring?

If your using wheel weights and other things like that you would be better off just to melt all that down into ingots at one time and clean the pot. Then you will have clean lead and shouldn't have a problem with it clogging. The only time mine clogs is when I'm melting down dirty lead to ingots.

Charlie

I have never had my pot empty. Like someone else posted, when done, I turn it off and cut sprues, toss them in.

I think when you run your pot down, that is where most of the nasties are at (floating on the top), and you stand a better chance of getting crap in there. Try a hotter setting and let's start trouble shooting.

I understand you use the candle to soot up the mold, but do you toss a chunk in the lead pot to purify the lead before using it in your good pot?

I have never had my pot empty. Like someone else posted, when done, I turn it off and cut sprues, toss them in.

I think when you run your pot down, that is where most of the nasties are at (floating on the top), and you stand a better chance of getting crap in there. Try a hotter setting and let's start trouble shooting.

I understand you use the candle to soot up the mold, but do you toss a chunk in the lead pot to purify the lead before using it in your good pot?

I utilize paraffin to purify the lead. At least that’s what I thought it was suppose to do. I will do this every time to start the process. So even if I use dirty lead, shouldnn't this clean it?

When someone says empty the pot, any ideas on the best method? What’s the best type of container? Then once the pot is empty, should I take a drill and open the hole?

Appreciate any advice.

I utilize paraffin to purify the lead. At least that’s what I thought it was suppose to do. I will do this every time to start the process. So even if I use dirty lead, shouldnn't this clean it?

When someone says empty the pot, any ideas on the best method? What’s the best type of container? Then once the pot is empty, should I take a drill and open the hole?

Appreciate any advice.

When I empty my pot or make lead from wheel weights I use a mini muffin pan. Just be REAL CAREFULL the pan gets so hot that if you put it on wood or cardboard it will scorch. In talking to other members here they advised to use BEE'S WAX - NOT PARAFIN (Candle wax) . I use a commercial product from "Frankford Arsenal" it is a powder that some how chemically bonds with the impurities. Use an OLD STAINLESS STEEL spoon to put a small amount in the melting pot then mix it into the molten lead. The product bubbles and fizzes like baking soda in vinegar then hardens so you can scoop it out, does a GREAT job !!

Just be REAL CAUTIOUS about playing with the pour hole in the melter. I tried to enlargen mine a bit with a dril,l cause I had poor flow and alot of imcomplete molds. After doing that, there was a constant drip of molten lead cause the steel stopper rod did not fit into the bottom and close the hole. Had to then get another pot liner from Lee Precision for $8.00.

Good Luck, This is a lot of trial and error.

Ray in PA

Nitro, As I previously mentioned I am somewhat of a novice myself. I always dump the pot and clean after every use. I use a drill bit clamped in a vise grip to scrape the pour hole out. I try to use fairly clean lead. When pouring I keep the pot at least 1/2 full. I never turn the pot below 7 until I shut it down. Last but not least I routinely add chunks of candle directly to the pot. This is the funny part because I read that is what you are supposed to do.I don't understand it and I also can't tell any difference in the entire process when I add candle chunks to the pot or when I don't.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate any advice.

The wax you use does clean the lead but you need to skim off the slag/dross off the top. If you want to clean your pot the first thing to do is turn your heat up, this should make the lead flow longer so it doesn't cool to quick around the spout and clog up your pot, take a piece of wire turned at 90 degrees and push it through, this should get the lead moving. Once you get the flow going you can use a cheap muffin tin from a dollar store or a Lee ingot mold which is what I use, pour into the mold or tin and once it cools, pop out the ingots and repeat until your pot is empty, then you'll be able to scrape your pot down, just be careful not to make the spout too big or you'll have real problems.

I have had the same problem with the pour spout dripping. What I have found is to take a teaspoon of borax laundry powder and add to the lead pot and stir it around several times. this makes all impurities to clump removing them with a spoon. I tried wax for removing impurities and found to be extremely flameable. ]

Here is a bit of info first hand and from experience.

I have been pouring both wheel weights and pipe lead for 2 years now. I have fluxed twice, 2 years ago. I have not had a pot clog up in over a year. I have not had a mold fail to fill (even the slip jig)

Here is how I do it.

I fill the pot 3/4 way full and turn the knob to 10. I leave it on 10 for about an hour until the lead has "superheated" this will bring a bunch of brown crusty stuff to the surface, skim it off. Lower the temp back down to where the pot stops dripping and pour. If you get flashing, back off a bit on the temp.

I also removed my plunger and drilled the tip out to allow more lead to come out faster, and reduced my clog ups to none. Just a bit of info to think about, I'm no expert.. just a fella that has poured about 15 thousand lead items.

Edited by BBK

The clogging is from dirty lead, flux your lead to clean it. Use a metal tool with a wooden handle (I use a garden trowl) to scrape the sides and bottom of your pot while fluxing and skim all the junk off the top. Clean your spout with a piece of wire, I use an old jig with the barb mashed down and the hook straightened then bent at about a 90* angle.

The dripping pots are due to the plunger being out of plumb (straight up and down vertical), use a screw driver in the slot at the top of your plungers to slightly turn and straighten your plunger to the vertical plumb position. This works for me at any temperature setting.

Hope this helps.