fraddosio

Frog

how's it going guys im new to the site. listed below is a thread that the pictures are not present anymore and i was wondering if someone could help me with making a mold for hollow belly frogs. Currently im in afghanistan and soon to be going home, i make jigs and i have done some plastics back in the day. Any help with making the mold whether it being pics or just dummy proof way of making it would be outstanding. I have thought about ways to do it and im still kinda stumped, thanks to all that help.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/2726-question-about-hollow-body-frogs/

Here is a post discussing how to make a hollow mouse. If this is what you are looking for, the technique could easily be adapted: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21746-moss-mouse/page__p__162018__hl__%2Bhollow+%2Bmouse__fromsearch__1#entry162018 Unfortunately, the photo's are linked to the gallery, so it is a pain to follow, but all the information is there.

Dave

thanks for the help vodkaman, never made a mold before, but it seems to be fairly easy. what would you guys recommend for the material for the mold?. and what kind of material would help me with the lure itself to keep the shape?

I do appologise, I posted the wrong link. The thread that I intended to post was written by SteveLibs. It looks like he was going to jump in, but changed his mind. Here is the correcy link: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21746-moss-mouse/page__p__162018__hl__%2Bhollow+%2Bmouse__fromsearch__1#entry162018

Steve, please step in and give us any updates and/or advice. This is your baby. I was so impressed with this technique, it has been added to my list, but the list is getting out of hand, LOL.

Dave

I was gonna try help by posting links to the correct location for the pics in the gallery, but then realized I screwed that up the 1st time and still didnt know how to go about it the right way. Anyway, for the mold I used Alumilites RTV, and Sculpey Clay for the master; and I used the Flex-40 product from Alumilite (http://www.makelure....&Name=Flex%2040) for the body; its worked perfectly once I got the right amount down. There's other durometer levels available, but I havent tried them as yet - duro 40 seems to work fine for my applications. As I mentioned in the posting, I picked this process up from a tip Larry Dahlberg gave me on his forum, and modified it just a bit, and given the small size of the baits (frogs, mice) I'm making, the rod dryer method I'm using works perfect for 'spreading' the goop around inside the mold. I previously started building a simple multi-axis rotational casting device following some simple instructions I found thru web-search, but that turned out to be way unnecessary for bass-size baits....my kids use it now to time-warp their batman figurines into hyper-space instead. I've got several hollow-body baits going now, probably more than I will need for the season, and the process actually turned out to be quite economical (as you know the store bought frogs can be costly), fun, and easy once I got going and got over the initial intimidation-factor.

Edited by SteveLibs

I was gonna try help by posting links to the correct location for the pics in the gallery, but then realized I screwed that up the 1st time and still didnt know how to go about it the right way. Anyway, for the mold I used Alumilites RTV, and Sculpey Clay for the master; and I used the Flex-40 product from Alumilite (http://www.makelure....&Name=Flex%2040) for the body; its worked perfectly once I got the right amount down. There's other durometer levels available, but I havent tried them as yet - duro 40 seems to work fine for my applications. As I mentioned in the posting, I picked this process up from a tip Larry Dahlberg gave me on his forum, and modified it just a bit, and given the small size of the baits (frogs, mice) I'm making, the rod dryer method I'm using works perfect for 'spreading' the goop around inside the mold. I previously started building a simple multi-axis rotational casting device following some simple instructions I found thru web-search, but that turned out to be way unnecessary for bass-size baits....my kids use it now to time-warp their batman figurines into hyper-space instead. I've got several hollow-body baits going now, probably more than I will need for the season, and the process actually turned out to be quite economical (as you know the store bought frogs can be costly), fun, and easy once I got going and got over the initial intimidation-factor.

Thanks for jumping in Steve.

I had it on my list, to design a multi axis rotator for a project such similar to this. Do you have a link to the project, as it could save me a lot of time. It is not necessary for this project, but I have a feeling that I might still need it.

Good share.

Dave

This looks like the one, but if you follow the thread I think it leads to updates/improvements http://www.instructa...-For-Under-150/

I stumbled on this one later, and think it would be much more practical and funner to do -

WOW! Both awesome designs. I too like the second vid solution. It demonstrates that complete rotation of the second axis is not necessary, thus solving the power chord problem. I like the instructables (Reid) machine, because it can be motorised, requiring only one motor, I think I can work with that basic design. My head was stuck on two motors and complete rotations, so the power chord problem was stopping me. I just love this stuff, LOL.

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

Dave