robalo01

Shawn Collins Custom Molds

I had an email conversation with these guys a couple of months ago. Not that I want to place an order, they don;t respond to emails and I only get an answering machine on the phone. I have tried for a week now. Anybody know anything?

This is the contact info I have:

Shawn Collins

sc3696@aol.com

Collins Customs

PO Box 427

Smithfield, VA 23431

757-365-4834

http://www.shawncollinscustoms.net/

or does anybody know anyone else who makes a comperable worm sinker mold (high quality, concave base)?

Robalo01

He will answer your emails but it will be a while, a month or two.

I've bought three jig molds from him in the last two months. He's answered my emails within a couple days and the longest I've had to wait for my molds has been two weeks. Just my experience with him. He does do nice work.

This topic comes upat least once a year and there is a lot wriiten up about this. This is a worn out song that keeps on playing over and over again .This is my persoanl opinion, so for those of you that do not agree don't jump all over me everyone has a right to their opinion. I feel simply this way, if a person selling a product can not call or contact someone in 2-3 days by whatever means, then they shouldn' be in business. Awhile back guys were waiting 6 moths to a year to get response or product. Some orders were not completed for 2 years and the customer was going to take him to court. That is just outrageous. I will never order a mold from him. I will never wait for someone who will not answer my calls and make a product for me in a timely fashion. You're either in the business to supply a service or not. If you can't keep up with demands then hire help, if you don't want to hire help then close your buiness. Don't string people along. Yes I know he makes an excellent product, however how long are you willing to wait to get it. No-one is that good that I have to bank my customers' business on someone elses bad business practice. However, guys still go back to him and still wait and complain. We are our own worst enemy. If we didn't keep ordering and waiting and then complaining, then he would eventually get them mesage if he didn't have any work. I have heard so many stories about him why things didn't or couldn't get done. When I first started about 6 years ago, it was the same old s&&t, things still haven't changed.

I am not blaming anyone new for trying to get a mold made as he does phenominal work. However be forwarned that this business practice hasn't changed and unfortunately won't anytime soon. Sorry for the ranting and raving as I do feel sorry for you guys, however type in his name in the google search and you will get a lot of negative comments among favorable ones and then you have to decide if you want to deal with this.............................Your choice.

Edited by cadman

I understand your point. I am not in favor of these type of practices either. In this case witholding business probably eventually gets the point across. I have had similar frustrations in the past with some stores. For instance let's say Wal-Mart. Maybe something negative happened and I say that's it, I'm never going there again. After a while I have a similar need and so this time I go to K-Mart. Surprisingly I have a negative experience there also which may or may not be similar to the one I had at Wal-Mart in the past. I declare to boycott K-Mart now and will only go to Target and the next thing you know, you guessed it, the same thing happens at Target. What to do ? It's very irritating. Didn't Pogo say it ?

On another note, if I wanted to purchase a lead pouring mold of some type that I couldn't find on the Do-It site then where would I go to get it. Are there other sources that are viable?

I'm not telling anyone not to use him. I'm just stating the things that have happened and still do. I just wish his business etiquette was better as far as contacting people and keeping promises. Like I said his work is phenominal. So you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the aggravation.

I forgot to post this, but Crazy Angler (Robert) will make a custom mold. I have never had any molds done by him but I heard his work is very good and reasonable. Look him up on the i-net he has a website.

Edited by cadman

Shawn's area was in the path of Hurricane Irene. ---

He made a mold for me about 2 weeks before Irene. I was in the process of having another mold made right at Irene's passing through NC & Va.. Since then I have not been able to get in touch with him via - Email ( several ); or Phone ( which has been disconnected ). As this area is low; I am afraid he was flooded. I hope not. If anyone finds out anything; please post. He seemed very willing to do the mold; and had turned the other request around in about a week.

Hi everybody!!

I’m new on this forum and I’m writing from Italy. Sorry for my English.

I cheer up this post to expose my opinion about Shawn Collins molds.

I agree with cadman. I bought a standard mold from him a couple years ago and the whole buy went fine: request-quote- confirm-shipment. All through email and it was concluded in a matter of days. Some weeks after that, I had a project about a custom jig, I send him the designs and accept his suggestions about small changes, when we were dealing the price I had no more answers from him.

I said "dealing" because his last words were "...how about $250.00?"

"how about..." ?? that sounded a negotiable price to me, so I answered "how about $220,00 ? please take in mind that I have to spend $60,00 for the shipment..." That was the last time I heard him : (

I've read a lot about him and his unusual way to be in business, his health and his low production capacity (now the hurricane too...). I’m aware that to make a simple mold, 6 cavities from 1 to 8 oz, same as the one I bought (the first up left on his home page) takes hours to be CNC made, and taking in mind the huge amount of requests he receives due his high quality handcraft, I can understand his problems, but I do not accept his behavior. While the CNC machine is working he has time enough for answering customers and at least tell them that he is busy and there is a long waiting time if you want a mold...

Every now and then I visit his site to see if hi still there and hoping to find signs of “life”

Now, I have the necessity of a new mold and before try to contact him again to avoid wasting my time, I made some search and found this forum. Do you think it is worth to email him?

Thanks

Tony

Hi everybody!!

I’m new on this forum and I’m writing from Italy. Sorry for my English.

I cheer up this post to expose my opinion about Shawn Collins molds.

I agree with cadman. I bought a standard mold from him a couple years ago and the whole buy went fine: request-quote- confirm-shipment. All through email and it was concluded in a matter of days. Some weeks after that, I had a project about a custom jig, I send him the designs and accept his suggestions about small changes, when we were dealing the price I had no more answers from him.

I said "dealing" because his last words were "...how about $250.00?"

"how about..." ?? that sounded a negotiable price to me, so I answered "how about $220,00 ? please take in mind that I have to spend $60,00 for the shipment..." That was the last time I heard him : (

I've read a lot about him and his unusual way to be in business, his health and his low production capacity (now the hurricane too...). I’m aware that to make a simple mold, 6 cavities from 1 to 8 oz, same as the one I bought (the first up left on his home page) takes hours to be CNC made, and taking in mind the huge amount of requests he receives due his high quality handcraft, I can understand his problems, but I do not accept his behavior. While the CNC machine is working he has time enough for answering customers and at least tell them that he is busy and there is a long waiting time if you want a mold...

Every now and then I visit his site to see if hi still there and hoping to find signs of “life”

Now, I have the necessity of a new mold and before try to contact him again to avoid wasting my time, I made some search and found this forum. Do you think it is worth to email him?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

You have read my feelings about this, and I still feel this way. However everything is worth a e-mail. Either he will or will not answer. If the latter happens, well then he has made the decision for you. If he replies, then you do have a decision to make and you will be at his mercy. If you pay him you will then have to deal with everything else that comes along unfortunately. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Edited by cadman

As some of you know once in a great while I'll take a small custom job, but this is not what I do for a living, and my machines are not upto to continuous production. So... please don't flood me with can you copy requests. I won't do them.

Anyway, I hate poor customer service, but there are two negative sides to this. That's right I said two NEGATIVE sides to this. Making custom molds is hard. Not always, and just because YOU can do it doesn't mean its easy. Making a mold is a creative process. Even if the customer provides quality CAD files (and they usually aren't as good as the customer thinks they are) you have a lot of work to do before you can make your first chips fly. Sometimes you have to think about it for a while to figure out the best way to do things. You have to get your mind in the zone so to speak. Sometimes you have to destroy some metal and break some cutters to see how you can do it efficiently. It takes time and if you are good at it you will have lots of requests. Often I spend more time designing a mold than I do cutting it even counting test cuts. I also only have one machine I really trust to do a job that is more than a couple hours. Most jobs (of mine) are more than a couple hours, and any one with a fine finish and small details takes forever. No matter how good you are or how big your shop is you only have limited time and resources. The answer is it takes as long as it takes unfortunately, and problems don't slow up one job. They slow up all jobs.

Dealing with customer service is a totally different mind set and skill set than designing and cutting. You can't easily switch (well I can't) from one to the other and back. Calling people and trying to massage egos is a necessary part of business, but its not easy either. Its a fence walk with rabid pitbulls on one side, and hungry crocs on the other. The only good place to be is on the fence. You have to balance losing business against doing work you don't want to. You have to balance keeping the customer happy with not cheating yourself. (I'm kinda old testament in that respect. It is equally as evil to cheat yourself as it is to cheat others.)

I have been in business my entire life. Literally. I grew up in the back room of the family country grocery store. I managed my dad's country hardware store while I saved up to go to college. I've owned my own contracting company for 18 years come this December, and before that I ran a computer service busines out of my house. I've only had one or two jobs that didn't involve customer service and a job task both. I was as sales manager for an alarm company. Just customer service. I ran the press in a cotton gin. Just a job task, but no customer service. There were a few others but most of my life all of my jobs balanced a job task with customer service. Its tough and switching from one to the other is tough.

And then there is fear. Most people don't recognize it or they rationalize it another way, but it is what it is. You have to deal with one or two pushy customers and you don't like it. Its not what puts your mind in focus. You begin to fear customer interactions, so you avoid them and just focus on your job task. From the customer side they aren't getting what they want and they are being ignored. They have no choice, but to be pushy. Its a no win situation.

I'm not defending anybody who doesn't respond to their customers. Its a crappy way to do business. Just trying to let a little light into the box for those who may not have been in business their whole life like I have. In any job there are things that you may not want to do or deal with or just aren't any fun. That's why people are willing to pay you to do them.

• Like 1

Well. I think for those of us that are not machinists that explains the problems with custom molds very well. It also explains why they are worth several hundred dollars. I have a friend that makes bondo molds that I use. He has made hundreds of them before he reached a level of quality that he is happy with. I am beginning to think that the best way to get a custom mold for just a few hundred items is to get a spincaster to make you a mold with his vulcanizer. We are even thinking about building a heat press to make those molds our self.